Tire Life

Justen wrote:
> [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The Bontrager Race X-Lite on my rear wheel is currently bucking the
> > trend set by my other tires and has already lasted over 5 weeks. If it
> > makes it past 6 weeks it will be the second longest timespan a tire has
> > survived on this bike. And if it makes it to 8 weeks it will even

> > Rears 1, 2, 3, and 4 got sidewall blowouts.

> Any chance your rear brakes are misadjusted such that the pads rub
> against the tire sidewall in addition to, or instead of, the rim?

> I've seen this a few times on friends bikes when they get repeated
> sidewall blowouts/tears.

Nope. We never did figure out exactly what the hell I was doing.

I suspect I may be a close relative of the puncture fairy.

People who have gone thousands of kilometers and months at a time
without a flat merely need to make comments in my presence to ensure
that they will get one.

People who are careful about checking tire pressure at paranoia levels
get pinch flats while riding near me. Twice in one morning even.

Once I rode over a patch of glass (oops) late at night and when I got
home and changed the tube it was a pinch flat.

When my new front wheel was built the rim tape wasn't seated properly
and a week later while in the bike shop refilling water bottles (since
this requires making it all the way to the back of the store, up the
stairs, and back down again this can take most of an hour) I got a flat
from a spoke while my bike was sitting unattended in the work area.

-M