Tire Liners

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by chasbwdc, Jul 31, 2009.

1. chasbwdc

chasbwdc New Member

I have been getting a lot of flats lately and have been thinking of buying tire liners. I have heard both good and bad things about these. Anybody have any experience with tire liners?:D

Tags:

2. graywulf

graywulf New Member

They're fairly useless, I'd say.

3. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

They can help with things like goat heads/thorns. Most repeat flats occur because whatever caused the first flat remains in the tire unnoticed. If you do use liners, baby powder well, both liner and tube.

4. Goandkickit

Goandkickit New Member

I can thoroughly recommend Dutch Perfect tyres - I have had only two flats since I bought mine a year ago - one flat was caused by a hole in my rim tape, nothing to do with the tyres, and the other was caused by a faulty inner tube, one of the seams in the rubber had come apart, again, nothing to do with the tyres. They are practically bullet proof - I purposely cycle through glass if it's in my path on the road, (rather than try to avoid it and risk going into the path of a car), and I've never had a problem with them.

5. dldavis

dldavis New Member

I have had enormous success with such liners. I keep a pair on my training rims. No flats for three years. They add a bit of weight, but nothing is worse than fixing a flat 30 miles form home. I have used MR TUFFY brand with fine results. Alternatly consider a tire such as the Armadillo by Specialized. Tuff tire. Good luck.

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I tried 'em for a while. Spinskins they were. Big goat head went right thru 'em. I don't bother using them now.

7. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

I commute to work each day for a distance over 60kms. There is always a lot of glass and truck retread wire "needles".

Ultragator Skins sovles the wire issue. I believe this wasn't from the "kevlar protection" but simply by the thickness of the rubber. I still got flats from glass at least once a fortnight.

Finally I had enough. I fitted Mr Tuffys in November. I had my first flat this week. It was super large shard of glass. Time will tell if I've been lucky but I reckon they've been a massive success.

The down side was, originally I was surprised to feel quite a difference in acceleration. Now it feels normal.

8. rondevouz

rondevouz New Member

I am 202 pounds I was having flats weekly,I am using the liners and I have never had a flat again I am amazed but it´s true the thing is that people is always talking
    that the tire increases rolling resistance a lot and you add weigh to but..............I´m comfy/img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif
    rondevouz