Tire Liners

chasbwdc

Aug 26, 2008
I have been getting a lot of flats lately and have been thinking of buying tire liners. I have heard both good and bad things about these. Anybody have any experience with tire liners?:D

chasbwdc said:
I have been getting a lot of flats lately and have been thinking of buying tire liners. I have heard both good and bad things about these. Anybody have any experience with tire liners?:D

They're fairly useless, I'd say.

chasbwdc said:

They can help with things like goat heads/thorns. Most repeat flats occur because whatever caused the first flat remains in the tire unnoticed. If you do use liners, baby powder well, both liner and tube.

chasbwdc said:

I can thoroughly recommend Dutch Perfect tyres - I have had only two flats since I bought mine a year ago - one flat was caused by a hole in my rim tape, nothing to do with the tyres, and the other was caused by a faulty inner tube, one of the seams in the rubber had come apart, again, nothing to do with the tyres. They are practically bullet proof - I purposely cycle through glass if it's in my path on the road, (rather than try to avoid it and risk going into the path of a car), and I've never had a problem with them.

I have had enormous success with such liners. I keep a pair on my training rims. No flats for three years. They add a bit of weight, but nothing is worse than fixing a flat 30 miles form home. I have used MR TUFFY brand with fine results. Alternatly consider a tire such as the Armadillo by Specialized. Tuff tire. Good luck.

I tried 'em for a while. Spinskins they were. Big goat head went right thru 'em. I don't bother using them now.

Originally Posted by chasbwdc .

I have been getting a lot of flats lately and have been thinking of buying tire liners. I have heard both good and bad things about these. Anybody have any experience with tire liners?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
I commute to work each day for a distance over 60kms. There is always a lot of glass and truck retread wire "needles".

Ultragator Skins sovles the wire issue. I believe this wasn't from the "kevlar protection" but simply by the thickness of the rubber. I still got flats from glass at least once a fortnight.

Finally I had enough. I fitted Mr Tuffys in November. I had my first flat this week. It was super large shard of glass. Time will tell if I've been lucky but I reckon they've been a massive success.

The down side was, originally I was surprised to feel quite a difference in acceleration. Now it feels normal.

I am 202 pounds I was having flats weekly,I am using the liners and I have never had a flat again I am amazed but it´s true the thing is that people is always talking
that the tire increases rolling resistance a lot and you add weigh to but..............I´m comfy/img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif
rondevouz