Tire-maxxis detonators. Anyone using them?

CdnRider

Apr 16, 2010
I bought a new wheelset about a week ago that came with these tires already mounted. I've since put on about 200-250kms and am quite pleasantly impressed. According to the maxxis site. The ones I have in a 700x23 beaded are only 27tpi and aren't exactly light at 315g.

They do seem to corner quite well. I also feel the road surface much more than the other tires I currently run. Michelin speediums, Michelin lithions and Continental UltraSports(worst tires I've ever used! Only due to multiple flats). Rolling resistance seems to be decent as well. They Do tend to lose about 20psi every few days.

Has anyone used these tires before? Comments?

Anybody else use these?? past or present? would love to hear your comments

You already have the tires on your bike. How can comments help you? Use the tires until they wear out or until you can no longer tolerate them.

If you need comments......I used Detonators for a while and found their puncture resistance lacking. IMHO, Maxxis Re-Fuse tires are much better.

How can comments help me? Simple, peace of mind and basic information from other users. For comparison purposes as well. I just wanted to know if other people were pleasantly surprised at their performance as i was/am. This is my first set of Maxxis. Came on a new set of wheels i was lucky enough to snag. Didn't have any time to read up prior to using them. Owner mounted them on without telling me what tires he was throwing in on the deal.

I'm hoping they'll be 10x more puncture resistant than the Conti Ultra Sport i have on another set of wheels.

So besides them lacking in the puncture resistant dept. (which is very important to everyone I'd say). How did they perform for you?

And yes...i intend on keeping these until I can't take them anymore....or wear them out. That's usually how I roll...... haaha. I'm not one to keep buying and trying. Can't afford that.

I have Maxxis Detonators on two of my bikes - the first one came with them and I liked them so much I bought a pair for my next bike (which was a frame only eBay purchase).

They last and I have had only one puncture in 3 years riding on potholed rural roads. My experience with them has been quite positive.