Tire mounting trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charly

I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing happens. Most of the way around the
wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the same width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing
practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
The bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this? Charly

charly wrote:

> I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing happens. Most of the way around
> the wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the same width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing
> practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
> The bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this?

Try rubbing some soapy water on the tire bead, then inflating it slowly. The bead usually pops up to
where it belongs, thanks to the lubricant.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

Wow THANKS, Charly "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> charly wrote:
>
> > I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing
happens.
> > Most of the way around the wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the
same
> > width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at
> > that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
The
> > bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Try rubbing some soapy water on the tire bead, then inflating it slowly. The bead usually pops up
> to where it belongs, thanks to the lubricant.
> --
> terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

I wonder if it could be due to a shrunken tube, perhaps where a patch on the tube may be reducing
its inflated diameter. I have a similar problem with a Bontrager Race X-Lite wheel, but in my case
the tire bulges upwards for a rougher ride. I know the wheel's rim is centered and trued properly. I
haven't gotten around to removing the tire and checking the tube for bulges.

r.b.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing happens. Most of the way around
> the wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the same width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing
> practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
> The bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this? Charly
>
>
>

Try the soapy water like was suggested but it also might be the wrong size tire for the rim. Try
another brand if you can find it.
--

Thanks the soapy water worked "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing
happens.
> > Most of the way around the wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the
same
> > width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at
> > that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
The
> > bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this? Charly
> >
> >
> >
>
> Try the soapy water like was suggested but it also might be the wrong size tire for the rim. Try
> another brand if you can find it.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:08:30 GMT, charly <[email protected]> wrote:
> The bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this?

Strange. Here's some ideas off the top of my head, most of which are probably wrong: -- Check to be
absolutely sure you have the same size tire and rim. Maybe a 700c and a 27 inch... -- Wheel could be
out of round -- Tire could be defective/mismanufactured -- Tire could be not seated well (as
suggested in another message)

> Charly
--
Rick Onanian

Status
Not open for further replies.