Tire mounting trouble

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Charly, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Charly

    Charly Guest

    I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing happens. Most of the way around the
    wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the same width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing
    practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
    The bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this? Charly

    Tags:

  2. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    charly wrote:

    > I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing happens. Most of the way around
    > the wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the same width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing
    > practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
    > The bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this?

    Try rubbing some soapy water on the tire bead, then inflating it slowly. The bead usually pops up to
    where it belongs, thanks to the lubricant.

  3. Charly

    Charly Guest

    Wow THANKS, Charly "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > charly wrote:
    >
    > > I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing
    happens.
    > > Most of the way around the wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the
    same
    > > width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at
    > > that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
    The
    > > bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this?
    >
    > Try rubbing some soapy water on the tire bead, then inflating it slowly. The bead usually pops up
    > to where it belongs, thanks to the lubricant.
    > --
    > terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

  4. Rb

    Rb Guest

    I wonder if it could be due to a shrunken tube, perhaps where a patch on the tube may be reducing
    its inflated diameter. I have a similar problem with a Bontrager Race X-Lite wheel, but in my case
    the tire bulges upwards for a rougher ride. I know the wheel's rim is centered and trued properly. I
    haven't gotten around to removing the tire and checking the tube for bulges.

    r.b.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing happens. Most of the way around
    > the wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the same width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing
    > practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
    > The bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this? Charly

    Try the soapy water like was suggested but it also might be the wrong size tire for the rim. Try
    another brand if you can find it.
    --
    _________________________

  6. Charly

    Charly Guest

    Thanks the soapy water worked "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing
    happens.
    > > Most of the way around the wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the
    same
    > > width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at
    > > that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
    The
    > > bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this? Charly
    > >

    > Try the soapy water like was suggested but it also might be the wrong size tire for the rim. Try
    > another brand if you can find it.
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

  7. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:08:30 GMT, charly <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a 27x1.25 wheel. When I mount a tire on it a funny thing happens. Most of the way around
    > the wheel the whitewall of the tire shows the same width. Then all of a sudden it dips showing
    > practically no whitewall at all. Then when I ride at that point in the rotation the ride is rough.
    > The bike dips down. Any ideas how to fix this?

    Strange. Here's some ideas off the top of my head, most of which are probably wrong: -- Check to be
    absolutely sure you have the same size tire and rim. Maybe a 700c and a 27 inch... -- Wheel could be
    out of round -- Tire could be defective/mismanufactured -- Tire could be not seated well (as
    suggested in another message)

    --
    Rick Onanian