Tire Pressure - Pasela TGs - 32s

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Linz

I have Pasela TG 32s on my bike and wonder if anyone has had any problems inflating them to
90psi. The max pressure says 95psi on the tire. I have been inflating only to about 80psi but
want better roll.

"Ron Linz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have Pasela TG 32s on my bike and wonder if anyone has had any problems inflating them to
> 90psi. The max pressure says 95psi on the tire. I have been inflating only to about 80psi but
> want better roll.

Tyre ratings tend to be conservative. I routinely run my 32mm Paselas at 120psi.

James Thomson

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> I have Pasela TG 32s on my bike and wonder if anyone has had any problems inflating them to
> 90psi. The max pressure says 95psi on the tire. I have been inflating only to about 80psi but
> want better roll.

Take them right to 95. I *always* inflate my tires to their labeled max, or sometimes 5psi over to
allow for what's lost while removing the pump chuck. I've never had a tire fail in 30 years of
doing this.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

"Ron Linz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> want better roll.

Ron, I have been inflating the Pasela TG 32s on my touring bike from 100 - 105 psi with no ill
effects. I pump them up even more on our tandem. Safe riding, Joe

"Ron Linz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> want better roll.

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for some time...

Where does the smart money come down on road bike inflation? I typically inflate to about 5 pounds
under maximum, reasoning that I'm a bit heavy at 180 and a fairly aggressive rider for my age group.
I currently have a Continental 20cm on the front with a labeled max of 150 (I use 145) and a
Gatorskin 23 on the rear labeled 120, so I use 115. (I usually use same tires fr ont and rear and
just haven't gotten around to it).

I would think a lighter rider might want to use less air but as I type this I can't really
imagine why...
--
Steve Juniper

"Donald Rumsfeld took that job as Secretary of Defense because he couldn't get a job
with a death squad."
-- Barbara
Bush --
"Joe Galloway" <[email protected]
rr.com> wrote in message
news:X6oKb.14198$Dq1.12824@twi-
ster.nyroc.rr.com...

"Ron Linz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> want better roll.

Steve Juniper wrote:
> This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for some time...
>
> Where does the smart money come down on road bike inflation? I typically inflate to about 5 pounds
> under maximum, reasoning that I'm a bit heavy at 180 and a fairly aggressive rider for my age
> group. I currently have a Continental 20cm on the front with a labeled max of 150 (I use 145) and
> a Gatorskin 23 on the rear labeled 120, so I use 115. (I usually use same tires fr ont and rear
> and just haven't gotten around to it).
>
> I would think a lighter rider might want to use less air but as I type this I can't really
> imagine why...

Why? Comfort. I put in a lot of hours on the road training for mtb races and use the Pasela 32
(really 28) TGs on a cyclocross bike set up for the road. The pavement around here has a lot of
irregularities. My favourite are the gas (or is it water?) lines cut through the pavement to new
homes and patched with a nice abrupt lip on entry and exit. Damn housing boom... Hit it at 95 psi
(my initial pressure choice and the max rated for the tire) and 30 km/hr and your wrists and butt
will remember for a while. Hit it at 70 psi front and 75 rear (my chosen pressures for a 165
pound body on a 25 pound bike) and it is much less unpleasant. Second winter of training on this
tire type and no pinch flats. Only one flat of any kind (a tiny spring like a lighter hinge
pierced the tread).

This chart seems to support my choice: http://www.precisiontandems.com/photos_files/tirechart.jpg I
roll from the house around 195 pounds total. On 28s, it suggests about
72.5 psi for this weight.

"Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Where does the smart money come down on road bike inflation? I typically inflate to about 5 pounds
> under maximum, reasoning that I'm a bit heavy at 180 and a fairly aggressive rider for my age
> group. I currently have a Continental 20cm on the front with a labeled max of 150 (I use 145) and
> a Gatorskin 23 on the rear labeled 120, so I use 115. (I usually use same tires front and rear and
> just haven't gotten around to it).

There's a fair summary at: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

> I would think a lighter rider might want to use less air but as I type this I can't really
> imagine why...

For a given pressure, a light rider will cause the tyres to compress less, so will feel a harder
ride than a heavier rider would. He can afford to reduce the pressure to increase his comfort
without suffering a greatly increased risk of pinch-flats.

James Thomson

"Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> wrote:

> imagine why...

I find that running 23 mm tires at 120 psi makes the bike feel skittish on bumps; 105 to 110 feels
more stable. But I'm fairly light, at 170 lbs or so (including the bike).

--
Ray Heindl (remove the Xs to reply)

Status
Not open for further replies.