tire pressure

t0mm0r

Dec 16, 2003
i was wondering if you guys would have any insight on this. If i were to keep my tires at about 60 % max psi while it is in storage and then fill them up before every ride would it preserve the life of the tires. It seems logical but I'm not for sure

your tyres will wear out from being ridden on, not from sitting around fully inflated

unless you are only riding once every few months there is no reason to constantly deflate and reinflate your tyres, just pump em up and keep topping them up every week

I've seen people do this, and it really befuddles me. I dont think ti matters at all. Im sure there are old wives tales or some type of scientific evidence or study claiming there is some minute life preservation, however if you ride, and ride a lot, I think your burn rate on the tires will far exceed any percentage of tire life savings. Personally, I do not deflate them... there seems to be a small percentage of pressure loss when they do sit around, but it is minimal, so it is common to put a few pounds of pressure in.

One guy I respect a great deal has an article on this very subject, check out the following link:
http://www.roadbikerider.com/ua2.htm#Deflating Tires After Every Ride

Honestly, I think there is far more detriment from running your tires at max when riding. Not only does max psi potentially decrease handling...it roughens the ride, and puts an insane stress on wheels (ie: more broken spokes). There have been lots of studies around optimal tire pressure, and despite all the claims... and the listed max pressure on the tire sidewalls, the optimal rolling psi for a really wide variance of weights is actually between 90 and 100. Im not kidding. Check out the link below from the same guy...

http://www.roadbikerider.com/ua4.htm#The Case for Lower Tire Pressure

Best of luck to you and your tires...

Chris

thanx for the feed back... i figured it wouldn't make much of a difference... though i do have older tires that are already starting to crack... i should probably get new ones but that requires money. interesting article on rbr... funny i didn't see it cause i frequent that website quite a bit.

tommy
Originally posted by funknuggets
I've seen people do this, and it really befuddles me. I dont think ti matters at all. Im sure there are old wives tales or some type of scientific evidence or study claiming there is some minute life preservation, however if you ride, and ride a lot, I think your burn rate on the tires will far exceed any percentage of tire life savings. Personally, I do not deflate them... there seems to be a small percentage of pressure loss when they do sit around, but it is minimal, so it is common to put a few pounds of pressure in.

One guy I respect a great deal has an article on this very subject, check out the following link:
http://www.roadbikerider.com/ua2.htm#Deflating Tires After Every Ride

Honestly, I think there is far more detriment from running your tires at max when riding. Not only does max psi potentially decrease handling...it roughens the ride, and puts an insane stress on wheels (ie: more broken spokes). There have been lots of studies around optimal tire pressure, and despite all the claims... and the listed max pressure on the tire sidewalls, the optimal rolling psi for a really wide variance of weights is actually between 90 and 100. Im not kidding. Check out the link below from the same guy...

http://www.roadbikerider.com/ua4.htm#The Case for Lower Tire Pressure

Best of luck to you and your tires...

Chris

One thing that people just don't think about is the max pressure rating of your rim (Mavic has a list of specifications for each of their rims and wheelsets on their web site.)

They're a bit lower than what you'd think -- Mavic's road wheels (everything from the basic MA3 rim to the Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset) are rated to only handle 136psi for 700x23 tyres!

Personally I ride with 95-100psi front and rear when on 23mm tyres; I'm an 88kg rider.