Tire question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Shakkmaster, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Shakkmaster

    Shakkmaster Guest

    My almost-daily trip is 2/3rds road and 1/3 to 1/2 dirt/grass. What kind of tires do I need to
    acquire to make my trip easier? And what's with those horrendously narrow, painfully hard MTB seats
    on most of the bikes I've ridden on?

    Tags:

  2. Waxxer

    Waxxer Guest

    What size wheels are you riding on? I will assume your riding a mtb. I prefer a semi-slick. There is
    a lot less rolling resistance and plenty of traction in MOST/NOT ALL conditions. Pushing knobbies
    when your commuting is a waste--unless you are looking to burn more calories. I ride semi slicks
    even when I ride harsh off road with all sorts of technical stuff. All boils down to skill level and
    preference.

    As far as seats go, personal preference is the rule--within limits. If you are new to a true seat
    then give it time. I personally like the Selle Italia Flite. The Terry Buzz-off is also popular.
    Them big cushy gel jobs are heavy, not anatomically correct and suck up your energy. Not all seats
    are created equally--but the narrowness you describe meets a purpose. Other than looking nasty,
    there is true function in the form.

    news:[email protected]...