Tire Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by T_blood, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_blood

T_blood Guest

Looking to buy a new set of tires. My riding style requires a good all-around tire. I have a rather
    aggressive XC riding style incorporated with minor-moderate downhill. I currently have a set of
    Michelin UST 2.2 DH comps. These are my first set of fat tires and I am hoping all fat tires don't
    roll like these. Although these tires are outstanding for DH, they completely kick my ass when
    hooking up with some friends for a lengthy ride. The rolling resistance is just a little more than I
    am happy with. I've considered dropping tire size but decided against it. Can anyone recommend a
    good 2.2-2.3 UST all-around tire? I am currently considering Hutchison Scorpion 2.3's, but I know
    dick about them. I'm open for any suggestions...thanx...Mike

Tags:

2. David

David Guest

"T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I currently have a set of Michelin UST 2.2 DH comps. These are my first set of fat tires and I am
    > hoping all fat tires don't roll like these.

The Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 is fine for XC. It's pretty fast & light for the width. Never used
    the UST version tho. It probably has a narrower casing than the Michelin 2.2 you're using (I think
    the casing is slightly narrower than the Michelin Hot S
    2.1, although the tread is wider).

3. T_Blood wrote:

>Looking to buy a new set of tires. My riding style requires a good all-around tire. I have a rather
    >aggressive XC riding style incorporated with minor-moderate downhill. I currently have a set of
    >Michelin UST 2.2 DH comps. These are my first set of fat tires and I am hoping all fat tires don't
    >roll like these. Although these tires are outstanding for DH, they completely kick my ass when
    >hooking up with some friends for a lengthy ride. The rolling resistance is just a little more than
    >I am happy with. I've considered dropping tire size but decided against it. Can anyone recommend a
    >good 2.2-2.3 UST all-around tire? I am currently considering Hutchison Scorpion 2.3's, but I know
    >dick about them. I'm open for any suggestions...thanx...Mike
    >
    >
    >
    >
    The Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 USTs look pretty tasty. I might consider xperimenting with one up front,
    but the Pythons hook up sp dern well for me.

A

4. T_blood

T_blood Guest

"> The Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 USTs look pretty tasty. I might consider
    > xperimenting with one up front, but the Pythons hook up sp dern well for
    me.

I considered the Pythons as well..Nice tread and I have heard only good things about them. However I
    only find them in 2.0 and a 2.0 on my bike would be like me putting the DH comps on my hardtail :)
    The Conti's look good too, just a little out of my price range.

5. Zilla

Zilla Guest

I've have the IRC Mythos XC tires. Panaracer Fire XC Pro is a good all around tire too.

--
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Looking to buy a new set of tires. My riding style requires a good all-around tire. I have a
    > rather aggressive XC riding style incorporated with minor-moderate downhill. I currently have a
    > set of Michelin UST 2.2
    DH
    > comps. These are my first set of fat tires and I am hoping all fat tires don't roll like these.
    > Although these tires are outstanding for DH, they completely kick my ass when hooking up with some
    > friends for a lengthy
    ride.
    > The rolling resistance is just a little more than I am happy with. I've considered dropping tire
    > size but decided against it. Can anyone recommend
    a
    > good 2.2-2.3 UST all-around tire? I am currently considering Hutchison Scorpion 2.3's, but I know
    > dick about them. I'm open for any suggestions...thanx...Mike

6. "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "> The Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 USTs look pretty tasty. I might consider
    > > xperimenting with one up front, but the Pythons hook up sp dern well for
    > me.
    >
    > I considered the Pythons as well..Nice tread and I have heard only good things about them. However
    > I only find them in 2.0 and a 2.0 on my bike would be like me putting the DH comps on my hardtail
    > :) The Conti's look good too, just a little out of my price range.
    >

I'll ride the tubed Pythons on the rear, they roll nice and are great on rocks and hardpack, but I
    hate them on soft stuff and are slicker than snot in a little surface mud. I'm looking for
    something else.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.