Tire Recommendation

milwaukeehaze

Mar 11, 2005
I currently run WTB Epic Wolf 1.95 tires on my Giant NRS Composite 2 and they work great on dry hardpack with great traction, low rolling reisistance and light weight. However, I need some recommendations on some tires for wet, and possibly muddy, conditions that would be as light as a mud tire can be. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

There is only one place for tires! Kenda! :rolleyes: :p ;)

Anyways, the nevegals and kinetics are nice. The coolest tires out there, IMO.

free_rideman said:
There is only one place for tires! Kenda! :rolleyes: :p ;)

Anyways, the nevegals and kinetics are nice. The coolest tires out there, IMO.
Thanks for the recommendation! I checked out the Kenda website and read some reviews on mtbr.com and these do seem like great tires. I have only one other question for you...I really want these because I am going to do some races this year and I may encounter wet conditions (probably not super muddy) and some pretty deep sand in one race, so would you use the 1.95 or the 2.10 Stick-E tires? Is there a big difference between the two with regard to grip and rolling resistance?

Thanks again!!

I would definitely go with the 2.10 size tires. I look at it this way: If you can't go fast and ride in confidence, than your tires are too small. Especially with sand, since a wider tire can float on top. I am a freak when it comes to wide tires, so I would love to have 2.35 tires, but it is a xc race bike, and that probably would be too inefficient (and too big maybe for your rims). So 2.10 it is.

Oh, one thing, I presume you are talking about the Nevegals? Don't go with the kinetics on a xc race bike. They are made more for freeride.

*It kind of doesn't make sense because one would think that a wider tire has less grip, but it is the opposite. The wider tire technically is gripping more surface area of the ground. But in very loose conditions thinner tires dig in too much, and thus cause you to be really inefficient. So the middle size is kind of a compromise, letting you do pretty much everything except maybe not ride in severe mud, and even then they should work. Also the rounder profile of a larger tire will let you corner better. And finally the pros for a wider tire, is the fact that it is like suspension. With a wider tire you can run lower psi and in some cases let the tire float more plus absorb impacts, etc..

free_rideman said:
I would definitely go with the 2.10 size tires. I look at it this way: If you can't go fast and ride in confidence, than your tires are too small. Especially with sand, since a wider tire can float on top. I am a freak when it comes to wide tires, so I would love to have 2.35 tires, but it is a xc race bike, and that probably would be too inefficient (and too big maybe for your rims). So 2.10 it is.

Oh, one thing, I presume you are talking about the Nevegals? Don't go with the kinetics on a xc race bike. They are made more for freeride.

*It kind of doesn't make sense because one would think that a wider tire has less grip, but it is the opposite. The wider tire technically is gripping more surface area of the ground. But in very loose conditions thinner tires dig in too much, and thus cause you to be really inefficient. So the middle size is kind of a compromise, letting you do pretty much everything except maybe not ride in severe mud, and even then they should work. Also the rounder profile of a larger tire will let you corner better. And finally the pros for a wider tire, is the fact that it is like suspension. With a wider tire you can run lower psi and in some cases let the tire float more plus absorb impacts, etc..
Thanks for the recommendation, but one more question. I see there are 2 models of the Nevegal...a DTC and a Stick E. The DTC is a dual tread with smooth rolling compound in the center and Stick E on the outside edges, and the Stick E version is Stick E on the entire surface. I have never used a sticky compound tire, so which would you recommend for xc racing? I assume the DTC, but let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks again!!

Honestly I wouldn't know which one is better for you. It depends on your riding.

But I can tell you that I never trust gimmicky stuff like "double compounds". Not saying it is bad, it might work, but a tire is so small, that I think the impact that the different compounds cause, might really be negligible. I can also imagine the different compounds contributing to a weird feeling tire. Instead of even and round it might kind of feel square or something. Hopefully you understand what I mean.
Lastly is the fact that this tire is small (for extreme standards) and the stick e compound should make it absorb impacts more. Also it will improve your traction by a lot. And I would trade a little bit more rolling resistance for a bit more traction.

The only two downsides I can think of are tire wear, and mud performance. The nevegals aren't the best things for mud that is really thick (but I think the places you are riding will have less clay in the soil, thus preventing too much clogging).

Thats pretty much it. Good luck and enjoy them if you decide on getting them! Nevegal stick-e tires.........hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

btw: there is also the option of going tubless (using stans sealant). Should improve the ride even more! But lots of work........