Tire Recommendation

On Jun 5, 9:03 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 12:53 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...

> > belted

> > they

> > for a

> > >Those were great tires! I was very sad when they discontinued them.
> > >Since then I have tried the Michelin Pro 2 Race tires in size 25 and
> > >found them to be quite comfy. I put about 750 miles on a set and they
> > >really don't show any wear (I weigh 125 lbs., though). Now I'm trying
> > >Continental GP 4000, size 25. Only had one ride so far, but I like
> > >the idea of the Vectran belt (and the color matches my new, custom
> > >bike perfectly). I will probalby choose one of those two tires to be
> > >my new standard. I know they're expensive, but tires seem to last a
> > >pretty long time for me. I'll be careful to watch for sales to pick
> > >up replacements.

> > >Jenn

> > Generally on Ebay can find Pro2Race for $35 each or at biketiresdirect in
> > 700x25. Seems like a good choice and I like them though am curious how
> > much longer the Krylion Carbon lasts and if its a bit less supple. - Hide quoted text -

> $28.50 from ProBikeKit for Pro2Race -- but that's for 23mm. Shipping
> from England was as fast as from Ohio (Nashbar), and there was no
> shipping charge. I don't get how they can do that. I did get a little
> hit on my credit card for exchanging dollars to pounds, though.
>
> BTW, I got some of the Bontrager Race-Lite Hardcase (which are not
> "lite") in 28s for commuting, and these are some of the toughest tires
> I have every owned. I actually had a small nail angle through the
> casing without giving me a flat and without destroying the tire. The
> ride is O.K., but at maximum inflation, they do not roll well over
> small objects, like gravel. It feels like my rear end is sliding out
> from under me -- hard to explain. I get thrown around less with other
> tires, and the wet traction is good but not great. No pinch flats or
> any kind of flats, though -- which is pretty amazing consider all the
> **** I ride over. -- Jay Beattie.- Hide quoted text -

I've got a rear Bonty Hardcase too. I've also found it to be tough but
zero in suppleness and harder to trust than my standard Michelin Axial
Carbons, which also look to be discontinued. It's pretty interesting
how much your ride can change based on a tire's feel.

/s

On Jun 6, 10:25 pm, Orin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 6, 12:26 pm, Orin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Probably rim width. I have some of the black sidewall ones mounted at
> > the moment. I'll check them when I get home.

> 24.6 mm on an Open Pro with about 100 psi. 24.1 mm on a Torelli
> Master (2 samples).
>
> > For real low price if you can stand a wire bead, I found the Vittoria
> > Zaffiro to be an OK tire. Unfortunately, like the Forte GT2, the 25
> > runs narrow. I don't know about the 28, the local Performance didn't
> > have them.

> Skinny! The 25 measures 23.5 mm on a Torelli Master.
>
> Measurements taken using a Mitutoyo digital caliper and are probably
> +/- 0.1mm at best.

Thanks! This is not a bargain, the old Perf Forte 700x26 was a true
24-26mm wide tire that had a list weight of about 250-260. The current
Perf Forte GT2 700x25 appears to measure 22-23mm wide and has a list
weight of about 320g. Further, it appears the Forte GT2 700x28 is not
a true 28mm tire, but one that measures 23 or 24mm wide. Sad.

On Jun 5, 9:15 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am looking for tire recommendations.
>
> For the last few years I have been riding 26 mm house brand, Kevlar belted
> tires from Performance. Performance customer service tells me that they
> have discontinued making the tire and didn't have any good suggestions for a
> replacement.
>
> I am looking for a folding tire in the 25 - 26 MM size that has a good
> balance between riding and flat protection.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't say enough good
things about the six dollar cheng shin at chucksbikes.com right now.
After two rides I bought a stack of six more, and am considering
buying another 10. They measure the same 24mm as a panaracer stradius
elite, but have better flat protection and yet feel more like a
michelin pro race.

Frank, indulge me and try one and tell us what you think.

dkl

On Jun 7, 5:08 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 5, 9:15 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I am looking for tire recommendations.

> > For the last few years I have been riding 26 mm house brand, Kevlar belted
> > tires from Performance. Performance customer service tells me that they
> > have discontinued making the tire and didn't have any good suggestions for a
> > replacement.

> > I am looking for a folding tire in the 25 - 26 MM size that has a good
> > balance between riding and flat protection.

> I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't say enough good
> things about the six dollar cheng shin at chucksbikes.com right now.
> After two rides I bought a stack of six more, and am considering
> buying another 10. They measure the same 24mm as a panaracer stradius
> elite, but have better flat protection and yet feel more like a
> michelin pro race.

I'm sure they ride great. I've been riding Cheng Shin tires for years
rebranded with one name or another. Do these have any flat
protection? The only drawback I've found to their tires is that they
get glass cuts pretty easy in the rain. So do a lot of tires for that
matter.

On Jun 7, 3:38 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 5:08 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Jun 5, 9:15 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I am looking for tire recommendations.

> > > For the last few years I have been riding 26 mm house brand, Kevlar belted
> > > tires from Performance. Performance customer service tells me that they
> > > have discontinued making the tire and didn't have any good suggestions for a
> > > replacement.

> > > I am looking for a folding tire in the 25 - 26 MM size that has a good
> > > balance between riding and flat protection.

> > I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't say enough good
> > things about the six dollar cheng shin at chucksbikes.com right now.
> > After two rides I bought a stack of six more, and am considering
> > buying another 10. They measure the same 24mm as a panaracer stradius
> > elite, but have better flat protection and yet feel more like a
> > michelin pro race.

> I'm sure they ride great. I've been riding Cheng Shin tires for years
> rebranded with one name or another. Do these have any flat
> protection? The only drawback I've found to their tires is that they
> get glass cuts pretty easy in the rain. So do a lot of tires for that
> matter.

I admit I was taking artistic license with that phrase. What I meant
was that they appear to have a slightly thicker tread than a conti2000
or 3000 or michelin pro race. Enough to have a token "inverted tread"
pattern. Nevertheless they don't feel slow. they look like the
might, but they don't. They feel as fast a conti2000 or 3000, and -
very- noticably silkier than either of those, and they make the
panaracer stradius elite's that I had before feel like concrete.

I'm still on my first set and haven't gotten any slices yet even after
touring thru Philadelphia and New Jersey on them.

I'd be very interested to hear what others think about them. I'd also
like to know the thread count. Carl?

Doug

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:00:17 -0700, Scott Gordo wrote:

> I've got a rear Bonty Hardcase too. I've also found it to be tough but
> zero in suppleness and harder to trust than my standard Michelin Axial
> Carbons, which also look to be discontinued. It's pretty interesting
> how much your ride can change based on a tire's feel.

The Axial Carbon is still around, but called the Krylion Carbon these
days.

I've been very pleased with them too.

Matt O.