Tire recommendations for a Strada

Jac

Guest
the rims I have on my Strada are:

ALEX DA16, 26" (559), black

Theses are the std rims. The tires are Specialized Pro 26x1. I haven't ridden enough yet to
appreciate the difference between poor and really good tires, but I do want what is reasonably best.
I am riding mostly on paved surfaces, but there are some nice dirt paths (ala PA Grand Canyon,
Denny) , with fine gravelled surfaces that I wish to ride on also.

I am seeking recomendations on what tires you would use under these circumstances.

Thanks, John Clarke

> the rims I have on my Strada are:
>
> ALEX DA16, 26" (559), black
>
> Theses are the std rims. The tires are Specialized Pro 26x1. I haven't ridden enough yet to
> appreciate the difference between poor and really good tires, but I do want what is reasonably
> best. I am riding mostly on paved surfaces, but there are some nice dirt paths (ala PA Grand
> Canyon, Denny) , with fine gravelled surfaces that I wish to ride on also.
>
> I am seeking recomendations on what tires you would use under these circumstances.
According to Sheldon Brown ( http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width ), you can mount
tires as narrow as 25mm and as wide as 37mm on your rims. The Specialized Pro 26x1 (25-
559) are pretty skinny for dirt and especially gravel. The 37-559 Kenda Kwest (which I do not
recommend) are OEM on the same rims for the Giro.

IMO good choices for fast narrow tires are Continental Grand Prix (25-559) and Schwalbe Stelvio
(25-559). For fast wider tires that will be somewhat forgiving in the rough, I prefer the
Vredestein S-Licks (26X1.3) (34-559). I have yet to prove the S-Licks to be any slower that the
Stelvios or Conti GPs

A warning about narrow racing tires on any but the best road conditions. Because of the weight
savings offered by the Conti and GP, the sidewalls are very thin and subject to cuts and abrasions.
I'd aim toward the wider tires like the S-Lick or other slick/semi-slick tires with thicker
sidewalls if you plan to spend too much time in the gravel.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus likes the S-Licks by a hair, I prefer the Conti's.

I ride Continental Grand Prix tires exclusively now (120PSI).

They are tremendous on the road, but are also very capable on all but the loosest gravel trails. I'm on crushed limestone and crushed granite trails, as well as pavement every single day.

I also ride hundreds of miles of Rails/Trails paths every year, and the Grand Prix's have been just fine. The Conti's have that special ride quality that just has to be experienced to be believed. IMO, they are well worth the premium.

BTW, I haven't flatted a Continental tire - Ever! (knock knock on wood)

R2

R2D2 wrote:

> Cletus likes the S-Licks by a hair, I prefer the Conti's.
>
> I ride Continental Grand Prix tires exclusively now (120PSI).
>
> They are tremendous on the road, but are also very capable on all but the loosest gravel trails.
> I'm on crushed limestone and crushed granite trails, as well as pavement every single day.
>
> I also ride hundreds of miles of Rails/Trails paths every year, and the Grand Prix's have been
> just fine. The Conti's have that special ride quality that just has to be experienced to be
> believed. IMO, they are well worth the premium.
>
> BTW, I haven't flatted a Continental tire - Ever! (knock knock on wood)

R2,

Are you using Conti GP's on a Strada?

I much prefer the 47-406 Tioga Comp Pool for ride and handling on loose surfaces to the 28-406 Conti
GP the previous owner used on my Sunset. Of course, I probably weigh at least 80% more than the
previous owner.

I have the GP's on my Giro. (unfortunately I don't fit on a Strada :( )

I have absolutely no problem on the limestone or granite trails though (unless I get into sand or wood chips). Your bike design and experience level will dictate how thin you go for the most part.

Admittedly I trade a little comfort for speed, but that'd have to be your choice. I know plunking down close to $100 for rubber is hard to do, but I can only recommend based on direct experience. I've tried the fatter 100 PSI Kenda Kwest on the Giro, but they are slower and I didn't need the extra width for the type of riding I do.

Hope this helps some,
R2

Originally posted by Tom Sherman
R2,

Are you using Conti GP's on a Strada?

I much prefer the 47-406 Tioga Comp Pool for ride and handling on loose surfaces to the 28-406 Conti
GP the previous owner used on my Sunset. Of course, I probably weigh at least 80% more than the
previous owner.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) [/B]

In article <[email protected]>, Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

> > the rims I have on my Strada are:
> >
> > ALEX DA16, 26" (559), black
> >
> > Theses are the std rims. The tires are Specialized Pro 26x1. I haven't ridden enough yet to
> > appreciate the difference between poor and really good tires, but I do want what is reasonably
> > best. I am riding mostly on paved surfaces, but there are some nice dirt paths (ala PA Grand
> > Canyon, Denny) , with fine gravelled surfaces that I wish to ride on also.
> >
> > I am seeking recomendations on what tires you would use under these circumstances.

I had a hard time replacing the Specialized tires that came on my Strada. I found a pair of Conti
Grand Prixs and had them shipped to me. This was one of the reasons I had a pair of 650c wheels
built - better tire selection. I now run the Conti GP 3000 tires. Several other people in the club I
ride with also use them and are very happy with them.

> IMO good choices for fast narrow tires are Continental Grand Prix (25-559) and Schwalbe Stelvio
> (25-559). For fast wider tires that will be somewhat forgiving in the rough, I prefer the
> Vredestein S-Licks (26X1.3) (34-559). I have yet to prove the S-Licks to be any slower that the
> Stelvios or Conti GPs

Keep in mind that the front brakes on the Strada have no quick release - whatever tire you pick has
to fit in the gap, which doesn't leave much room for wider tires.

> A warning about narrow racing tires on any but the best road conditions. Because of the weight
> savings offered by the Conti and GP, the sidewalls are very thin and subject to cuts and
> abrasions.

So long as they're kept pumped to the recommended pressure, I haven't seen much problem with that.
Most of the flats we suffer in the club come from unavoidable debris (usually shards of glass on the
roadside).

-Carl

To further confuse you ,I vote for the Conti GP if you want speed and ride on good hard pavement,I
have them on my P-38. On my rANS Stratus ,which is more for rock trails ,touring,and rough surfaces
I have Schwabe Marathons .Good high pressure tires ,pretty flat free. ben fox hi Tom :)

Ben Fox wrote:

> To further confuse you ,I vote for the Conti GP if you want speed and ride on good hard pavement,I
> have them on my P-38....

Ben,

I find good quality pavement to be rather rare in central Illinois. :(

Personally I'd use Schwalbe Stelvios and be careful on the loose. Last night the old bill had closed
a road on my way home; faced with a choice of waiting or diverting down the loose-surfaced canal
towpath, I chose the latter. No problems with the Stelvio-shod Speedmachine except getting the thing
out through the gate at the other end.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

news:<[email protected]>...
> Personally I'd use Schwalbe Stelvios and be careful on the loose. Last night the old bill had
> closed a road on my way home; faced with a choice of waiting or diverting down the loose-surfaced
> canal towpath, I chose the latter. No problems with the Stelvio-shod Speedmachine except getting
> the thing out through the gate at the other end.
>
> Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

All things being equal Istrongly prefer a good narrow tire over a wider one. My two favorites have
been the Conti Grand Prix and the Schwalbe Stelvios. But not on dirt or gravel. On those surfaces I
find them to ride "interestingly" at best. I have a lot of miles on Vredestein S-Licks and about 200
on Tioga Comp Pools. Of the two, if I want pure speed over all else then the Comp Pools are the
ones. But they are wider (and taller) than the S-Licks and I find their ride a little "bouncier".
The S-Licks seem to be a nice compromise of speed, performance and versatility. If I had to pick one
tire for all around riding, with a variety of surfaces, the S-Licks get my vote. You might not get
there as quickly as if you were using the other three, but you will get there more surefootedly (is
that a word?).

Mike S.

"JAC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> the rims I have on my Strada are:
>
> ALEX DA16, 26" (559), black
>
> Theses are the std rims. The tires are Specialized Pro 26x1. I haven't ridden enough yet to
> appreciate the difference between poor and really good tires, but I do want what is reasonably
> best. I am riding mostly on paved surfaces, but there are some nice dirt paths (ala PA Grand
> Canyon, Denny) , with fine gravelled surfaces that I wish to ride on also.
>
> I am seeking recomendations on what tires you would use under these circumstances.
>
> Thanks, John Clarke

Having lived with my Strada for about 1200 miles now, I actually think that for the riding
conditions that you describe, the Specialized tires that come with the bike are a pretty good
choice. If you wanted the fastest road only 559 tire, I would go with Stelvios, but an even better
speed choice would be to go with 650c wheels and Vredestein Fortezzas and run them at 145 psi.

Pat Mc

My experience (5000 miles ++ on a recumbent) is that Conti makes the highest quality tyres. I
really like the Schwalbe Marathon (1.5" tyre), but I had serious issues with the Schwalbe
Stelvios. I ride a
26/16 recumbent, and the Stelvios lasted less than 1500 miles, just a few months for me. I've had
the same Conti Grand Prix 26x1 (25-559) tyre for two seasons now (3000 miles) and it still has
plenty of wear on it.

Chris Champion Vision R40 SWB OSS Double Vision R85 USS

news:<[email protected]>...