Tire Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Patrick, Feb 19, 2003.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Looking for tires which are good for muddy sandy conditions (yes, where I ride I have sandy mud!).
    Currently I'm running Continental Escape in the rear and a Vertical in the front. The rear
    especially gets gummed up and doesn't shed the mud at all. Ideally, I could find a tire that works
    well in the wet stuff but also holds it's on on dry hardpack (8 months of the year are dry here).

    TIA!

    Tags:

  2. I would put an Explorer or Vertical on the back. They tend to shed better, and still hook up well on
    both soft and hard surfaces.

    Patrick wrote:

    >Looking for tires which are good for muddy sandy conditions (yes, where I ride I have sandy mud!).
    >Currently I'm running Continental Escape in the rear and a Vertical in the front. The rear
    >especially gets gummed up and doesn't shed the mud at all. Ideally, I could find a tire that works
    >well in the wet stuff but also holds it's on on dry hardpack (8 months of the year are dry here).
    >
    >TIA!

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Ideally, I could find
    > a tire that works well in the wet stuff but also holds it's on on dry hardpack (8 months of the
    > year are dry here).
    >
    > TIA!

    I found the Hutchinson Pythons to be great for total slop, be it mud or sand. They are decent at
    hardpack conditions...good luck finding some that are perfectly round.

    For my money, the best all-around tire is the IRC Serac. It's fast, sheds mud, and screams
    through hardpack.

    Chris

  4. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Ideally, I could find
    > > a tire that works well in the wet stuff but also holds it's on on dry hardpack (8 months of the
    > > year are dry here).
    > >
    > > TIA!
    >
    > I found the Hutchinson Pythons to be great for total slop, be it mud or sand. They are decent at
    > hardpack conditions...good luck finding some
    that
    > are perfectly round.

    I'd have to disagree with them being good for total slop. I found that they are great on hardpack
    (or tarmac) especially in the dry but terrible for anything else. I've just changed them for the wet
    weather. No traction on wet grass, loose gravel/shingle/or sand - wet or dry. Terrible on wet clay
    and loamy soils.

    I've just today been out with the new Hutchinson Mosquitos on front and rear and am very happy with
    the results so far. Grass/ clay, gritty sandstone and clay fireroads. Very wet. And I can't fault
    the traction after a mere one day's use. I was quite happy with the good traction and good
    relatively smooth running on hardpack.

    Westie

    > For my money, the best all-around tire is the IRC Serac. It's fast, sheds mud, and screams through
    > hardpack.
    >
    > Chris

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would put an Explorer or Vertical on the back. They tend to shed better, and still hook up well
    > on both soft and hard surfaces.

    "I have been out of the bike industry for almost a year now. Much has happened. I've been too busy
    riding to nerd my way through every article on every bike."

    So, you've been keeping up with tires then?

    JD

  6. JD wrote:
    > Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>I would put an Explorer or Vertical on the back. They tend to shed better, and still hook up well
    >>on both soft and hard surfaces.
    >

    > "I have been out of the bike industry for almost a year now. Much has happened. I've been too busy
    > riding to nerd my way through every article on every bike."
    >
    > So, you've been keeping up with tires then?
    >
    > JD

    Look troll boy. It's simple.

    I have the tire that I am referring to.

    Unlike many, I tend to try to talk about things I have experience with, otherwise I try to shut up
    and listen.

    You are getting sort of pathetically desperate to stir the pot.

    I remember when you first showed up on this newsgruop and actually gave a damn. You were supportive
    and complimentary of others, now yer too cool fer school. Sad, that.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > I'd have to disagree with them being good for total slop. I found that
    they
    > are great on hardpack (or tarmac) especially in the dry but terrible for anything else. I've just
    > changed them for the wet weather. No traction
    on
    > wet grass, loose gravel/shingle/or sand - wet or dry. Terrible on wet
    clay
    > and loamy soils.
    >
    > I've just today been out with the new Hutchinson Mosquitos on front and
    rear
    > and am very happy with the results so far. Grass/ clay, gritty sandstone and clay fireroads. Very
    > wet. And I can't fault the traction after a
    mere
    > one day's use. I was quite happy with the good traction and good
    relatively
    > smooth running on hardpack.
    >
    > Westie

    Westie my man, you're exactly right. I meant to type Mosquitos, not Pythons, but between them being
    mentioned in the original post, and the massive amounts of Corona I put down watching the Terps give
    it up (F--- Duke), I put Pythons down instead.

    So Patrick, I screwed up...Mosquitoes are the way to go for slop.

    Lest you think I'm just placating... http://www.pbase.com/image/13007165

    Chris

  8. Ozarkmtbr

    Ozarkmtbr Guest

    Or you could switch your tire out when it turns to the dry season.

    For example, I use:

    .Maxxis 'Helter Skelter' for the muddy goop. .Hutchison 'Python' for the dry to mild wet conditions.

    Works for me anyway.

    OzarkMtbr

    "Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Looking for tires which are good for muddy sandy conditions (yes, where I ride I have sandy mud!).
    > Currently I'm running Continental Escape in the rear and a Vertical in the front. The rear
    > especially gets gummed up and doesn't shed the mud at all. Ideally, I could find a tire that works
    > well in the wet stuff but also holds it's on on dry hardpack (8 months of the year are dry here).
    >
    > TIA!

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I would put an Explorer or Vertical on the back. They tend to shed better, and still hook up
    > > well on both soft and hard surfaces.
    >
    > "I have been out of the bike industry for almost a year now. Much has happened. I've been too busy
    > riding to nerd my way through every article on every bike."
    >
    > So, you've been keeping up with tires then?

    Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Look troll boy. It's simple.

    Nothing is simple.

    > I have the tire that I am referring to.

    What you don't have is the rider's weight. The Vertical Pro sucks on hardpack for heavier riders
    because it's squirrely.

    > Unlike many, I tend to try to talk about things I have experience with, otherwise I try to shut up
    > and listen.

    A fine and rare way to be.

    > You are getting sort of pathetically desperate to stir the pot.

    That's not an argument, it's contradiction. I paid for an argument.

    > I remember when you first showed up on this newsgruop and actually gave a damn. You were
    > supportive and complimentary of others, now yer too cool fer school. Sad, that.

    You're right. I don't give a damn about anyone or anything in am-b. I'll never be supportive or
    complimentary to anyone in this NG ever again. If everyone was cool like me, I'd have nowhere to be
    cool. Sad, that.

    JuvenileDelinquent

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > Westie my man, you're exactly right. I meant to type Mosquitos, not Pythons, but between them
    > being mentioned in the original post, and the massive amounts of Corona

    Corona - excellant for dry, dusty conditions.

    I put down watching the Terps give it up (F---
    > Duke), I put Pythons down instead.
    >
    > So Patrick, I screwed up...Mosquitoes are the way to go for slop.
    >
    > Lest you think I'm just placating... http://www.pbase.com/image/13007165
    >
    > Chris

    Westie

  11. Lone Wolf

    Lone Wolf Guest

    well i used to run a smoke/dart combo on my cannondale... on my Raleigh i had a set of
    velociraptors......not sure what to run now.... my current bike has a richie mad max and a kenda
    smoke rip-off. i ride mostly hard packed with a light coating of loose dirt on top and
    occasional mud.

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    lone wolf <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > well i used to run a smoke/dart combo on my cannondale... on my Raleigh i had a set of
    > velociraptors......not sure what to run now.... my current bike has a richie mad max and a kenda
    > smoke rip-off. i ride mostly hard packed with a light coating of loose dirt on top and
    > occasional mud.

    Nokian Gazzaloddi - they come in 2.1, 2.3, 2.6, and 3.0 flavour. No tyre is better, stuff everyone's
    so called 'knowledge', 'experiences', 'conditions', 'weights' and all shit like that - I got the
    truth of it, me, and only me.

    Shaun aRe - exclusivity.

  13. Mrbusdriver

    Mrbusdriver Guest