Tire Repair or Walk????

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by frusso10, May 29, 2006.

1. frusso10

frusso10 New Member

When racing do you carry a tube, tire levers and a CO2 in your jersey? I know you don't race with a bag under your saddle, or do you?

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

Don't carry a thing. In a crit you may be able to take a free lap and get a wheel change, but in a road race you're SOL.

3. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

I have never been in a RR where there is not a wheel van following each race. If you are off the back and flat, then you may be SOL, but you should be able to find a ride with a sag wagon.

4. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

your lucky to have a wheel van.

I have a small back that i use so normally in a RR i will carry it. Crit's its not much point even worring, if you get a flat you are normally so far out of the race by the time you even change a wheel its not much point

5. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Mostly short 20, 30, or 40 km races in Japan. (Where I am.). If you get a flat you're out...

Last year I crashed and a higher grade was racing about a minute behind us. One of my team mates in the following race had a puncture just as he saw me lying on the side of the road with blood pouring from my body... Being a faster class he got to me within 20 seconds of my crash...

He jumped off and we exchanged wheels before I got in the ambulance....

He finished at the end of the pack but not last.....

In longer races there is usually a support car with spares....

Another friend (we were racing on a Grand Prix circuit) had 2 flats within the first 10kms of a 100km race. He couldn't finish with the lead pack but he still beat me.... The circuit was 4.1km and he managed to get back to the pits and do a quick change over..twice.... He came 6th the following year...