Tire Shelf Life? And how to lengthen it?

Bandjhughes

Guest
Due to a variety of reasons, I have about a dozen extra tires all with very low mileage on them
hanging from the rafters in my garage. They're out of sunlight, but the garage gets hot (+100 deg F)
in the summer and cold in the winter (below freezing). I'm wondering, what is the shelf life on
tires in a non-climate controlled storage environment like a garage or shed. And my other question
is, what can someone do to lengthen tire shelf life (i.e., would putting them in something like a
plastic bag help)?

I really don't care to try to sell slightly used bike tires, and eventually these tires should all
wind back on one of my bikes.

Brian

My bike recycling program gets donations of tires from several bike manufacturers. Usually, these
tires have been removed from stock after sitting on shelves for several years.

One particular lot in our shop has been around since 1997. We haven't used them because they're an
ugly color, but they're still in pretty good shape. Another lot, on the other hand, has only been
around for about two years, and they're all dry-rotted and/or cracking.

I asked a friend, who owns a bicycle company here in NY, about extending the shelf-life of tires and
he had no suggestions. I think it's just luck.

--
Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area www.geocities.com/NYRides "bandjhughes"
> Due to a variety of reasons, I have about a dozen extra tires all with very low mileage on them
> hanging from the rafters in my garage. They're out of sunlight, but the garage gets hot (+100 deg
> F) in the summer and cold in the winter (below freezing). I'm wondering, what is the shelf life on
> tires in a non-climate controlled storage environment like a garage or shed. And my other question
> is, what can someone do to lengthen tire shelf life (i.e., would putting them in something like a
> plastic bag help)?
>
> I really don't care to try to sell slightly used bike tires, and eventually these tires should all
> wind back on one of my bikes.
>
> Brian

I once heard about sew-ups that they should be kept in the dark and cool (but not freezing). I guess
it goes for most rubber and silica.

"bandjhughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Due to a variety of reasons, I have about a dozen extra tires all with very low mileage on them
> hanging from the rafters in my garage. They're out of sunlight, but the garage gets hot (+100 deg
> F) in the summer and cold in the winter (below freezing). I'm wondering, what is the shelf life on
> tires in a non-climate controlled storage environment like a garage or shed. And my other question
> is, what can someone do to lengthen tire shelf life (i.e., would putting them in something like a
> plastic bag help)?
>
> I really don't care to try to sell slightly used bike tires, and eventually these tires should all
> wind back on one of my bikes.
>
> Brian

Minimize oxidants like oxygen, ozone, UV radiation and elevated temperatures. Practically speaking
this is like our forefathers stored tires - room temperature and wrapped in kraft/waxed paper. How
soon we forget.

"bandjhughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Due to a variety of reasons, I have about a dozen extra tires all with very low mileage on them
> hanging from the rafters in my garage. They're out of sunlight, but the garage gets hot (+100 deg
> F) in the summer and cold in the winter (below freezing). I'm wondering, what is the shelf life on
> tires in a non-climate controlled storage environment like a garage or shed. And my other question
> is, what can someone do to lengthen tire shelf life (i.e., would putting them in something like a
> plastic bag help)?
>
> I really don't care to try to sell slightly used bike tires, and eventually these tires should all
> wind back on one of my bikes.
>
> Brian

I had 3 of the same tires-two in the box, one not. Exact same age/date. The box had clear windows so
didn't block all the light. They were in a garage, gets warm/cold, etc, flourescent lighting off 99%
of the time.

After ~10 years, the loose one had discolored, dry rotted. Both in the box were still in
great shape.

I don't think any got much UV, same temps.

Anyway, food for thought...

Dan

Doug Huffman wrote:
> Minimize oxidants like oxygen, ozone, UV radiation and elevated temperatures. Practically speaking
> this is like our forefathers stored tires - room temperature and wrapped in kraft/waxed paper. How
> soon we forget.

x-no-archive:yes

> Due to a variety of reasons, I have about a dozen extra tires all with very low mileage on them
> hanging from the rafters in my garage. They're out of sunlight, but the garage gets hot (+100 deg
> F) in the summer and cold in the winter (below freezing). I'm wondering, what is the shelf life on
> tires in a non-climate controlled storage environment like a garage or shed. And my other question
> is, what can someone do to lengthen tire shelf life (i.e., would putting them in something like a
> plastic bag help)?
>
> I really don't care to try to sell slightly used bike tires, and eventually these tires should all
> wind back on one of my bikes.
>
> Brian

Yesterday, I got out a spare tire from the box and where it was folded, the rubber had cracked
completely. I immediately took the rest of the spares from the garage and put them in the house. A
few years ago, the foam on my saddle turned to powder after being in the garage 2 years. I could put
my finger on the top of the saddle and leave a permanent depression! As a result, I have my road
bike in the house. I know I can't put every bike in the house, though. Houses need an extra room
just for bikes! ( well, other than the dining room)

Pat in Texas---where we know HOT.

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
: result, I have my road bike in the house. I know I can't put every bike in the house, though.
: Houses need an extra room just for bikes! ( well, other than the dining room)

Maybe you can put the bikes in the same room that you put the computers?

On 15 Jun 2003 [email protected] wrote:

> In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
> : result, I have my road bike in the house. I know I can't put every bike in the house, though.
> : Houses need an extra room just for bikes! ( well, other than the dining room)
>
> Maybe you can put the bikes in the same room that you put the computers?

Bad idea if there is a laser printer or copier in that room--both are ozone sources, as are electric
motors that spark on startup (starting switch).

[email protected] (bandjhughes) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> And my other question is, what can someone do to lengthen tire shelf life (i.e., would putting
> them in something like a plastic bag help)?

I store tires I expect to be around for a while in black plastic lawn bags.

I have some Hydyne HPV 20" x 1 1/4" that are still soft and pliable. They are at least 16 years
old. They were made by Carlisle, here in the USA, and Carlisle has been out of business for a long
time. I've heard that the Hudynes were the last batch of bicycle tires ever made in the US.

In the same bag are some of the original Conti Avenues. Unlike the current ones, they are
completely slick, with tread not much thicker than a condom. About the same rolling resistance as
an air hockey puck, but at 1.75" they catch too much air for serious high speed work.

Mark,

> I have some Hydyne HPV 20" x 1 1/4" that are still soft and pliable.

I have three, which have been on various trikes and bikes over the last 15 years. I don't leave them
on anything too long. I don't want to wear them out. I love those tires.

> They were made by Carlisle, here in the USA, and Carlisle has been out of business for a long
> time. I've heard that the Hudynes were the last batch of bicycle tires ever made in the US.

I've heard that as well. Another reason I want to hang onto them.

Carlisle isn't gone, by the way, just morphed into a multi-national giant.

http://www.carlisle.com/profile/history.html

Warren