tire size, 27 * 1 & 1/4 or 700 * 32

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bert, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bert

    Bert Guest

    What exactly is the difference between 27 by 1 and 1/4 and 700 by 32? Are these different
    measurements on the same tire?

    700mm is 27.55 inches. The tire I currently have on the rim is 27 inches. will a 700 mm tire work?

    Sorry if this a newbie question, but I'd like to know as I gotta replace some rubber.

    BTW any suggestions for good economical tires ($10 to 20 US)? I've seen some IRC ones for a few
    bucks but I imagine these are of lower quality.

    Thanks!

    Bert

    Tags:

  2. Pete Geurds

    Pete Geurds Guest

  3. Bert wrote:

    > What exactly is the difference between 27 by 1 and 1/4 and 700 by 32? Are these different
    > measurements on the same tire?
    >
    > 700mm is 27.55 inches. The tire I currently have on the rim is 27 inches.

    Those are nominal dimensions based on ancient tires. 700c wheels are actually smaller than
    27 inchers.

    > will a 700 mm tire work?

    Absolutely not.

    > Sorry if this a newbie question, but I'd like to know as I gotta replace some rubber.

    I have a Web article that explains the arcane details of tire sizing,

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

    > BTW any suggestions for good economical tires ($10 to 20 US)? I've seen some IRC ones for a few
    > bucks but I imagine these are of lower quality.

    IRC tires tend to be quite good. We have a pretty good selection, see:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires.html#630

    Sheldon "ISO/E.T.R.T.O." Brown +---------------------------------------------+
    | The nice thing about standards is that | there are so many of them to choose from. | --Andrew S.
    | Tanenbaum |
    +---------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  4. Bert

    Bert Guest

    On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:29:59 -0500, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bert wrote:
    >
    >> What exactly is the difference between 27 by 1 and 1/4 and 700 by 32? Are these different
    >> measurements on the same tire?
    >>
    >> 700mm is 27.55 inches. The tire I currently have on the rim is 27 inches.
    >
    >Those are nominal dimensions based on ancient tires. 700c wheels are actually smaller than
    >27 inchers.
    Well it is an old Miyata bike that still works really good for me. I intend to get at least another
    number of years out of it.

    >> will a 700 mm tire work?
    >
    >Absolutely not.
    Thanks!

    >> Sorry if this a newbie question, but I'd like to know as I gotta replace some rubber.
    >
    >I have a Web article that explains the arcane details of tire sizing,
    >
    >See: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

    I read this through this before posting, but it was still not clear to me at the time.