Tire size

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bob, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Have a Continental Top Touring 2000 tire the guy told me was 700 x 37/38c. The marking on the
    sidewall is 28 x 1 1/4 x 1 3/4. Anybody familiar with tires that can tell me if what this guy says
    is correct??

    Tags:

  2. Bob wrote:
    > Have a Continental Top Touring 2000 tire the guy told me was 700 x 37/38c. The marking on the
    > sidewall is 28 x 1 1/4 x 1 3/4. Anybody familiar with tires that can tell me if what this guy says
    > is correct??

    Yes. The 700 number is using the French sizing system, which is also commonly used for this size in
    English-speaking countries.

    The less ambiguous 37-622 international (ISO/E.T.R.T.O.) designation is the more up-to-date
    designation.

    That 28 x 1 1/4 x 1 3/4 business is an obsolete measurement system used mainly in Germany and the
    Netherlands. German and Dutch tire companies include those designations, but other tire companies
    omit them to avoid confusion.

    I have a detailed article on Tire Sizing systems, see: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
    if you care.

    | The nice thing about standards is that | there are so many of them to choose from. | --Andrew S.
    | Tanenbaum |
    +---------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    Has anyone noticed that, since these Continental tires are now manufactured in Thailand, they have
    adopted a smaller-than-stated sizing approach, similar to Panaracer, IRC, Avocet-of-old ?....

    Robin Hubert