Tire sizing question for NOOBIE!

klanda20

Oct 13, 2006
The tire I have currently on my bike is a 700 X 28c.

I bought a tire specific for a trainer.....the size is 700 X 23c. Will it fit.

If it does.....next question....how do I change a tire. I've never done it.

Yes, the 700*23 will fit your bike. It is likley that the tube inside the 700*28 tire may be a little larger than optimal for the 700*23, but it will probably still work OK. It looks like there are lots of descriptions regarding how to change a tire on the net, including some with videos:

http://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+change+a+bicycle+tire%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

By the way, the last time I bought a trainer, about 15 years ago, most folks just used the tire they already had on their bike or an extra wheel with an old tire on the trainer. The only reason I am bringing this up, is that if putting the "trainer specific tire" on your bike somehow prevents you from getting out and riding your bike outside because the "trainer specific tire" isn't an adequate road tire or something, I would just leave the 700*28 on and use it on the trainer, but I don't know much about "trainer specific tires". Maybe someone else will chime in here.

Good luck. :)

chainstay said:
but I don't know much about "trainer specific tires". Maybe someone else will chime in here.
You want a smooth tire for trainer use. Otherwise it will sound like a motorcycle.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm still having trouble putting the tire on. I might give in and ask a more experienced cyclist friend of mine to help me put the tire on.

The reason of going the trainer tire is because my regular tire was getting eaten alive by the trainer. Also the noise will hopefully be cut down a little.

I'm still having trouble putting the tire on.
Sometimes new tires require quite a bit of force to get the last section over the rim. Make sure the tube is all the way centered over the rim and not sticking out making it more difficult to get the last little bit of tire over the rim. Some new tires are more difficult and tigher than others to get on, and some rims are tougher than others to get a tire on. After you have ridden a tire for awhile, it tends to loosen up a little and will go on the rim a little more easily the second time.

I might give in and ask a more experienced cyclist friend of mine to help me put the tire on.
That is probably the best way to learn as opposed to reading a description.

If it is a Conti Trainer Tyre, yes, you will have trouble, they are designed to be tight. Get some qualifyed help.

In setting up the trainer, make sure the tyre is correctly inflated, over 100psi, then have the trainer engage the tyre so the tyre does not slip, not too tight, not too loose. ;)