Tire Storage.

Johann S.

Guest
Hello,

I got a spare set of tires recently, but the set on my bike is still good for quite some time. How
is the best way of storing tires? (This will probably be for a year or so)

Thanks!

PS: This is mtb tires.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (298 of 658) -> Ways to annoy your roommate #12: Get a computer. Leave it on -> when you
are not using it. Turn it off when you are.

"Johann S." <[email protected]> wrote:

> How is the best way of storing tires?

In a plastic bag, in a dark place. If you're only storing them a year, it doesn't matter much as
long as you keep them out of the sun.

Ozone and ultraviolet light are the environmental factors that deteriorate tires the most.

Chalo Colina

"Johann S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> I got a spare set of tires recently, but the set on my bike is still good for quite some time. How
> is the best way of storing tires? (This will probably be for a year or so)
>
> Thanks!
>
> PS: This is mtb tires.

Dear Johann,

Jobst Brandt addressed the storage question in another posting about the idea of aging tubulars.
Here's part of what he said:

> . . . Tires are most flexible and durable when they are new. They don't
> improve with time and exposure to heat, light, and oxygen or ozone.

[snip]

> . . . tires bought in advance should be sealed tightly in airtight
> bags and kept in the dark, optimally in a freezer. For best results,
> use new tires because aged tires are only as good as how little they
> have aged.

The cold slows chemical reactions, the dark prevents damage from light, and the sealing prevents
fresh oxygen and ozone from attacking the rubber.

Whether large, awkward tires are worth such trouble is another matter. (An astonishing number of
people object to storing tires, dead badgers, and motorcycle cylinder liners in the refrigerator, no
matter how clearly the purpose is explained.) You might be better off exchanging your tires with
another cyclist for anything from other bike parts to pure good will.

Carl Fogel

What's the best way to FOLD a wire bead tire? I had a Panaracer Stradius Pro continually work its
way off the rim several times within a week before the tire actually from the bead. It was a wire
bead that had been folded during mail-order (and probably a long while before that too).

Pressures were kept at 120psi or below on this 700x23.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

news:[email protected]...

Phil who? writes:

>> In a plastic bag, in a dark place. If you're only storing them a year, it doesn't matter much as
>> long as you keep them out of the sun.

> What's the best way to FOLD a wire bead tire? I had a Panaracer Stradius Pro continually work its
> way off the rim several times within a week before the tire actually from the bead. It was a wire
> bead that had been folded during mail-order (and probably a long while before that too).

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.23.html

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Carl Fogel Said:

> > good for quite some time. How is the best way of storing tires? (This
<snip>
> Dear Johann,
>
> Jobst Brandt addressed the storage question in another posting about the idea of aging tubulars.
> Here's part of what he said:
<snip>

Thanks!

--

QUIPd 1.02: (620 of 658) -> Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind. -> -(Terry
Pratchett, Reaper Man)