Tire suggestions

cpeters

Nov 1, 2007
I'm 18 years old. I have a Specialized Allez Elite 2007. The factory tires (Specialized Mondo Comp, 700x23C, aramid bead, 60TPI) are just about completely worn out and I am looking for suggustions for a new pair.

A little background knowledge: I'm located in Denver, CO. Roads in the spring can still have a fair amount of gravel. I would also like a tire that does ok in wet conditions, not necessarily a downpour, but a little wet. I ride in the 2,500 to 3,500 miles a year range. I don't race encept for a couple centuries and maybe a time trial or two a year.

If anyone could recommend a tire. It would be greatly appreciated. My price range is no more than about $30-40. I am currently looking at Hutchinson, Vredestein, Michelin, but I am not limiting myself to those.

Thanks
Carl

cpeters said:
I'm 18 years old. I have a Specialized Allez Elite 2007. The factory tires (Specialized Mondo Comp, 700x23C, aramid bead, 60TPI) are just about completely worn out and I am looking for suggustions for a new pair.

A little background knowledge: I'm located in Denver, CO. Roads in the spring can still have a fair amount of gravel. I would also like a tire that does ok in wet conditions, not necessarily a downpour, but a little wet. I ride in the 2,500 to 3,500 miles a year range. I don't race encept for a couple centuries and maybe a time trial or two a year.

If anyone could recommend a tire. It would be greatly appreciated. My price range is no more than about $30-40. I am currently looking at Hutchinson, Vredestein, Michelin, but I am not limiting myself to those.

Thanks
Carl

Continental Gatorskin wire beads..in 25c for this time of year. GREAT tire, $35.

I too put up with gravel roads and poorly kept pavement. I've had good luck with Michelin Krylions. They can be a bit tough to get on the rim, but they're very durable and ride nicely. This winter I'm giving a set of Serfas Seca RS a try. They get good reviews from the folks that ride them and you can get them for about $25 each on Ebay. So far so good, but it's too early to give them a thumbs up yet. Good luck!

If you are on a budget, don't get skinwalls. They do roll easier but I have found abrasions on mine after ordinary street/gravel trail riding which caused the innertube to bulge out, so I had to toss the tire out.

I had Panaracer Paselas, which are otherwise pretty good sport/touring tires. A sidewall blowout btw is not something which will happen gradually .

I do not know all the current choices too well so if you take my advice you will have to inquire for yourself whether a tire is skinwall. I only know paselas and nashbar primas are.

I may get skinwalls again but for a limited budget they are not the best choice.

Vittoria Zaffiro Pro. 27.99 for the folding bead at nashbar. Our roads here are covered in salt and cinders and these tires have held up extremely well this winter, (no flats yet). Now that I said that I'll probably end up with a flat on tomorrow's ride!