Tire time?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Oruboris, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Oruboris

Oruboris New Member

I only have about 1000 miles on my michelain 'Iron Man' tires: these are the ones with a stripe of colored rubber down the center, supposed to be easier rolling than the stickier sides that only contact the pavement if you make a [very] sharp turn...

So after hitting a smallish rock in the dark the other night, I find a bit of the colored rubber has been knocked off. The tire seems fine otherwise, no bulging or anything, but it scares me: hate to replace tires this new, but don't want to risk it if they are compromised.

What do you think?

Tags:

2. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Unless the casing is showing, just keep running the tire. Even if the cut goes down to the casing, the tire should be safe as long as there is no damage (cut) in the threads.

If you suspect the casing could be damaged, it's worthwhile to demount the tire and check it carefully to verify the thread casing isn't cut. If that's the case, pitch it.

3. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

some tyres use a silicon compound and these do tend to cut more easily than conventional materials but this type of damage does not matter too much so long as the casing is undamaged but get used to the idea that damage will be an issue with these tyres not wear .

" race " tyres have softer compounds than " training " tyres but unless your actually racing they are unlikly to be much of an advantge compared to the increased cost and much shorter life look at vredestein volante tri-comp or vitoria ruben pro as examples of good average tyres that have a good price / quality balance that rarely cut or puncture but grip in the wet .that means , of course , that I´d better take a couple of extra tubes next time .