Tire Tread Formula - 25% of tread = - 75% of traction.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by D T W .../\\..., Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Saw this in a mag. If your tire tread's worn 25% you loose 75% of your traction.

    Agree ___ Disagree ___ Don't Know ___ Don't Care ___ (

    mmmm new tires ;-) Tried a Hutchinson Scorpion 2.1 - It wouldn't fit as a rear tire. Rubbed my chain
    stay. Put it up front. Seems like a winner.

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    "D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> <"D T W .../\\..." <vze3n4p8 @verizon.net>> spoke thusly...
    > Saw this in a mag. If your tire tread's worn 25% you loose 75% of your traction.
    >
    > Agree ___ Disagree ___ Don't Know ___ Don't Care ___ (

    Depends, i have a well worn rear tire, and i have less mud traction, but better smooth surface
    traction (ie, slick rock). So i have both lost and gained traction.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Saw this in a mag. If your tire tread's worn 25% you loose 75% of your traction.
    >
    > Agree ___ Disagree ___ Don't Know ___ Don't Care ___

    Disagree. It seems opposite to me. I lose 25% of my traction after my tread is worn 75%. =)

    -John Morgan

  4. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Saw this in a mag. If your bike is older than 2003, cost less than $3,000
    and isn't full suspension then it's shit.

    > Agree ___ Disagree ___ Don't Know ___ Don't Care ___ (

    Chris

  5. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:i%[email protected]...

    > "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > Saw this in a mag. If your bike is older than 2003, cost less than
    $3,000
    > and isn't full suspension then it's shit.
    > >
    > > Agree ___ Disagree ___ Don't Know ___ Don't Care ___ (

    > Chris

    Agree, but only because i'm building one up like that and like feeling superior ;)

    Jon Bond

  6. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    (

    > > Chris
    >
    > Agree, but only because i'm building one up like that and like feeling superior ;)
    >
    > Jon Bond

    You forgot to mention your sponsors Jon.

  7. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:i%[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > $3,000
    > > > and isn't full suspension then it's shit.

    > (

    > > > Chris
    > >
    > > Agree, but only because i'm building one up like that and like feeling superior ;)
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    > >

    > You forgot to mention your sponsors Jon.

    Shimano, Marzocchi, Quad Cycles, bikedoctraining.com, K2bikes, rudy project, speedplay, Lanterne
    Rouge, and outpost.com

    better?

    Jon Bond incredibly broke right now ;)

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Jon Bond <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > > Jon Bond thoughtfully penned:
    > > >>
    > > > Shimano, Marzocchi, Quad Cycles, bikedoctraining.com, K2bikes, rudy project, speedplay,
    > > > Lanterne Rouge, and outpost.com
    > > >
    > > > better?
    > > >
    > > > Jon Bond incredibly broke right now ;)
    > >
    > > careful you are starting to sound like Travis...
    >
    > All I need are some disc wheels. Or I'll jump off a bridge.
    >
    > Jon "too nice outside to be depressed; just manic" Bond

    Sorry, all i got is a Thomson seatpost and Selle seat, and a box full of dead (or near dead)
    Goose parts. oh, wait, i still have a extra BB too (maybe it would have fit the Goose before i
    shipped it away).

    If i had disk wheels, i would probably be using them (if they were disk and rim anyway). ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  9. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Jon Bond <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > >
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Jon Bond thoughtfully penned:

    > > > careful you are starting to sound like Travis...
    > >
    > > All I need are some disc wheels. Or I'll jump off a bridge.
    > >
    > > Jon "too nice outside to be depressed; just manic" Bond
    > >

    > Sorry, all i got is a Thomson seatpost and Selle seat, and a box full of dead (or near dead) Goose
    > parts. oh, wait, i still have a extra BB too (maybe it would have fit the Goose before i shipped
    > it away).
    >
    > If i had disk wheels, i would probably be using them (if they were disk and rim anyway). ;-)
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    thomson post wouldn't happen to be 30.9, wouldit? ;)

    Jon Bond

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Jon Bond <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Jon Bond <[email protected]Etufts.edu> spoke thusly...
    > > >
    > > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > All I need are some disc wheels. Or I'll jump off a bridge.
    > > >
    > > > Jon "too nice outside to be depressed; just manic" Bond
    > > >

    > > Sorry, all i got is a Thomson seatpost and Selle seat, and a box full of dead (or near dead)
    > > Goose parts. oh, wait, i still have a extra BB too (maybe it would have fit the Goose before i
    > > shipped it away).
    > >
    > > If i had disk wheels, i would probably be using them (if they were disk and rim anyway). ;-)
    > > --
    > > ~Travis
    > >
    > > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    >
    > thomson post wouldn't happen to be 30.9, wouldit? ;)
    >
    > Jon Bond

    sorry, 28.6. lots of shims maybe?
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  11. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Jon Bond <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > >
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Jon Bond <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > > > Sorry, all i got is a Thomson seatpost and Selle seat, and a box full
    of
    > > > dead (or near dead) Goose parts. oh, wait, i still have a extra BB too (maybe it would have
    > > > fit the Goose before i shipped it away).
    > > >
    > > > If i had disk wheels, i would probably be using them (if they were
    disk
    > > > and rim anyway). ;-)
    > > > --
    > > > ~Travis
    > > >
    > > > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    > >
    > > thomson post wouldn't happen to be 30.9, wouldit? ;)
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    > >

    > sorry, 28.6. lots of shims maybe?
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    nah, I'll just see if my boss will give me one for near cost - I sold like 10 bikes for him
    saturday, so maybe he won't be a tightwad ;)

    Jon Bond