Tire/tube deformation?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Scott, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    My wife and I did a recent ride on our GTT and hit a cattle guard at speed (30+?). The far side of
    the guard had a raised pavement edge that really gave us a jolt. Later, in the rear tire we
    developed a kind of pinch flat that seemed to be from where the tuffy strip had shifted and lay in a
    diagonal across the tube. The main issue, however, was certainly the impact that slammed the edge of
    the strip into the tube. Might have been worse without the strip--dunno. But the situation now is
    this: I've fixed the flat but now see a bulge in the tire in afflicted region. Not huge but
    noticeable. Can a real jab like this just tweak the tire/tube permanently? The tire is an almost new
    Tioga Comp Pool. I'm wondering if a little more riding might just even out the tire.

    Scott A bit out of round but still rollin'...

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > My wife and I did a recent ride on our GTT and hit a cattle guard at speed (30+?). The far side of
    > the guard had a raised pavement edge that really gave us a jolt. Later, in the rear tire we
    > developed a kind of pinch flat that seemed to be from where the tuffy strip had shifted and lay in
    > a diagonal across the tube. The main issue, however, was certainly the impact that slammed the
    > edge of the strip into the tube. Might have been worse without the strip--dunno. But the situation
    > now is this: I've fixed the flat but now see a bulge in the tire in afflicted region. Not huge but
    > noticeable. Can a real jab like this just tweak the tire/tube permanently? The tire is an almost
    > new Tioga Comp Pool. I'm wondering if a little more riding might just even out the tire.

    Scott,

    There is a very good chance that some of the cords/threads [1] in the tire are broken, in which case
    the tire should be replaced. I suggest replacing the tire or at least carrying a spare tire and
    extra tubes [2] in case the tire ruptures.

    [1] I did this to two automotive tires recently as the result of hitting a pothole.
    [2] A flat on the rear of a tadpole trike while riding will most likely be an inconvenience - for a
    single track vehicle I would replace the tire due to the potential loss of control/balance in
    the event of a blowout.