tire weight vs rolling resistance

dhk said:
I've taken a little time to balance my wheels. I was surprised to find my new Velomax wheels were considerably out of balance when I spun up the rear wheel in a big gear. (They are heavy opposite the valve stem, where the rim splice is located.) If the saddle is jumping up and down a couple of cm's at 35 mph, that can't help roadholding....
I had the same problem with my Campy wheels. Nothing major, but you can see it when you spin the rear in a high gear as you said.

That's one of the big selling points of the new Campy-owned Fulcrum wheelsets - supposedly, they're balanced at the factory.

dhk said:
Also, since we have so many high-speed descents around here, I've taken a little time to balance my wheels. I was surprised to find my new Velomax wheels were considerably out of balance when I spun up the rear wheel in a big gear. (They are heavy opposite the valve stem, where the rim splice is located.) If the saddle is jumping up and down a couple of cm's at 35 mph, that can't help roadholding....
I know it's off topic, but how did you balance your rear wheel? I got my front wheel dialed in by moving the computer magnet around, but the rear is still off a little.

Wurm said:
...That's one of the big selling points of the new Campy-owned Fulcrum wheelsets - supposedly, they're balanced at the factory.
That sounds nice, but I wonder how meaningful that really is in comparison to variations in most wheesets, without one's own tube and tire installed and once the rim tape is replaced.

supergrill said:
That sounds nice, but I wonder how meaningful that really is in comparison to variations in most wheesets, without one's own tube and tire installed and once the rim tape is replaced.

Depends on how fast you ride. I know when I am cruising over 60mph I am glad I am riding balanced wheels :D

Actually it is kinda funny, but I never even thought about this before, I mean I noticed it when spinning the wheel in a 53-11 in the stand (like when lubing a chain or messing around)... for sure having the wheel balanced won't hurt you any. I would imagine it need be pretty bad before you noticed while riding down the road though.

supergrill said:
Well, the Fulcrum Racing 1 & Racing 3 don't need rim tape, so that's out of the equation. I still have an unbalanced rear (and somwhat the front also) after the tires/tubes are on, so I'd imagine that the wheels being balanced to start with would be enough.

But as always, beware of the marketing hype!

artmichalek said:
I know it's off topic, but how did you balance your rear wheel? I got my front wheel dialed in by moving the computer magnet around, but the rear is still off a little.
Art, I used plumbers wire solder wrapped around the spokes for weight. Probably have 8 inches of solder total, on two spokes nearest the valve stem.....the Velomax Circuit wheels were that much out of balance. Of course, tires and tubes play a role too.

After getting the rear wheel to spin up smoothly, I put the same weights on the front. Have only been able to check the front by spinning it and noting response as it comes to a stop, and where it stops. (Before the added weight, it always came to rest with the valve stem at the bottom).

Takes a bit of trial and error, but believe in terms of road-holding and maybe energy savings as well, it's worth the time.

dhk said:
Takes a bit of trial and error, but believe in terms of road-holding and maybe energy savings as well, it's worth the time.

DHK, you are getting dangerously close to dork territory again... :D