Tire Width and Rider Weight

Witheld

Guest
I have been told that heavier riders should ride wider tires. No one can tell me why. This has
nothing to do with tire pressure, just width.

At the risk of getting the engineers bickering : ), what does the weight have to do width the
tire width?

rsquared

On 13 Aug 2003 13:23:45 -0700, [email protected] (Witheld) wrote:

>I have been told that heavier riders should ride wider tires. No one can tell me why. This has
>nothing to do with tire pressure, just width.
>
>At the risk of getting the engineers bickering : ), what does the weight have to do width the
>tire width?
>
>rsquared

I've never heard wider tires. Not having done any calculations I would suspect it would take
a really heavy rider to reccommend a larger tire. I suppose a wider tire might help at lower
pressures say on a mountain bike. Of course all of the above is specultion on my part. I
have heard/read warnings about number of spokes. I.E. this tire with "X" spoke is
recommended for "Y" weight or less. Seems to me that the spokes would definately be the weak
point in a tire, not the tire itself.

~Matt

I'm 6'4" and weigh 188lbs. I ride 25mm tires instead of the 23mm standard. I keep the pressure at
105psi in front and 110psi in back. The advantage of wider tires is just that there's more air to
support more weight and provide more shock absorption for me and the bike. I've had fewer flats
since I've switched. The wider tires aren't as fast or as mobile but this difference is negligible
for my riding level.

"Witheld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been told that heavier riders should ride wider tires. No one can tell me why. This has
> nothing to do with tire pressure, just width.
>
> At the risk of getting the engineers bickering : ), what does the weight have to do width the
> tire width?
>
> rsquared

I am 190 pounds and used to ride 20's. I am so glad I got ride of them and went to 25's. I have very
little problems with them now. With the 20's I had flats all the time. I got good at changing them
however. :)

Curt

"Witheld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been told that heavier riders should ride wider tires. No one can tell me why. This has
> nothing to do with tire pressure, just width.
>
> At the risk of getting the engineers bickering : ), what does the weight have to do width the
> tire width?
>
> rsquared

Dave nailed it. It's all about air volume. That's why cars can run with 20-35 psi, MTB go as low as
45 psi, etc. Air pressure (among other things) affects rolling resistance but tire width affects air
volume, ridability, durability. I race on 23's but train on 25's. Specifically Conti Gatorskin 25's.
Haven't had a flat in over a year! BTW, I was over 300# during this period and am now at 175#. I'm
keeping the 25's!