tire width: keep the front & rear the same?

sbentow

Nov 2, 2004
hi all--

was wondering whether anyone has a good argument (for or against) for using the same tire widths on the front and rear? i ride xc with some climbing and dh. my gear-head friends tells me to run 2.3 on the front and 2.1's on the back, but i've been getting arguments from others that i should keep the front and back the same width for "balance." any opinions??

thanks!

stan

sbentow said:
hi all--

was wondering whether anyone has a good argument (for or against) for using the same tire widths on the front and rear? i ride xc with some climbing and dh. my gear-head friends tells me to run 2.3 on the front and 2.1's on the back, but i've been getting arguments from others that i should keep the front and back the same width for "balance." any opinions??

thanks!

stan
The reason for the different tires is to give more control with a larger tire up front and better traction with the smaller, easier to pedal tire in the rear. Makes sense but I still use 2.3 Rollers Pro's front and rear on a free ride bike.

tom

I've been riding and just using whatever makes sense (traction wise) for the last 12 years and I don't think it's been till this set of tires that I have the same width front and rear. I've heard the same "argument" from some folks, but I've also heard arguments from folks that Pepsi tastes better than Coke so...

It seems to come down to preference and what traction you need/want/end up with. If you are OK with someone else forming *your* opinion then conform bro, conform. Anyway, have fun riding and keep the rubber side down.

K.

ireman_1 said:
I've been riding and just using whatever makes sense (traction wise) for the last 12 years and I don't think it's been till this set of tires that I have the same width front and rear. I've heard the same "argument" from some folks, but I've also heard arguments from folks that Pepsi tastes better than Coke so...

It seems to come down to preference and what traction you need/want/end up with. If you are OK with someone else forming *your* opinion then conform bro, conform. Anyway, have fun riding and keep the rubber side down.

K.
thanks for the response and advice. given that i'm a newbie that has made the switch from off road motorcycles to mtb, there are considerations with mtb's that i've never really thought of. getting more power out of a 400cc two stroke wasn't really a concern. turning a throttle is a lot easier then peddling.

i've started to go with what i think sounds right when i hear numerous disagreements at my lbs. threw a 2.1 panaracer fire xc on the back, 2.25 geax strudy on the front, and had a blast last weekend. noticeable difference in the back in traction and grip while stopping over the crappy hutcheson scorpions that came with the bike.

your advice is well taken man. ask around but do what i think is right. tires are cheap enough to change anyway and the only way to really understand is to just do it.

stan

sbentow said:
thanks for the response and advice. given that i'm a newbie that has made the switch from off road motorcycles to mtb, there are considerations with mtb's that i've never really thought of. getting more power out of a 400cc two stroke wasn't really a concern. turning a throttle is a lot easier then peddling.

i've started to go with what i think sounds right when i hear numerous disagreements at my lbs. threw a 2.1 panaracer fire xc on the back, 2.25 geax strudy on the front, and had a blast last weekend. noticeable difference in the back in traction and grip while stopping over the crappy hutcheson scorpions that came with the bike.

your advice is well taken man. ask around but do what i think is right. tires are cheap enough to change anyway and the only way to really understand is to just do it.

stan
So far the current set-up is great until the mud gets "sticky" (thick?). It's the Conti Traction Pro (2.3) up front and the Conti Survival Pro (2.3) out back. I'm 6'3" @ 250(ish) and run pretty high pressures. Like I say they have done fine up until the ground has gotten saturated and the clay gets "fun?" The only non-DH specific tire (2.5 or wider, wire bead, heavy, heavy) I've tried that works *well* in those conditions was the old Klein Deathgrip tires. Those were/are my all-time fave for nasty conditions. I'm not sure when they stopped making them, but it was a sad day...

Kraig...

ireman_1 said:
So far the current set-up is great until the mud gets "sticky" (thick?). It's the Conti Traction Pro (2.3) up front and the Conti Survival Pro (2.3) out back. I'm 6'3" @ 250(ish) and run pretty high pressures. Like I say they have done fine up until the ground has gotten saturated and the clay gets "fun?" The only non-DH specific tire (2.5 or wider, wire bead, heavy, heavy) I've tried that works *well* in those conditions was the old Klein Deathgrip tires. Those were/are my all-time fave for nasty conditions. I'm not sure when they stopped making them, but it was a sad day...

Kraig...
Take a look at the Azonic Vigilante, a 2.5 FR/DH tire that weighs only 750g ! I like these larger diameter tires with a lighter weight because unless you're actually on your way downhill, the f/r bikes are heavy enough to pedal with the larger fork and frame.