tire widths

stevecycles

Jan 23, 2007
I know tires come in various widths, the most popular seem to be 23 and 25's, going up to 32's for touring and cyclocross. When I look at wheel sets, the width is never mentioned. Can a wheel set accept that wide of a range of widths, or am I missing something?

Not looking at doing anything, but gaining knowledge and just noticed that tires are marked but wheel sets don't seem to be.

Thanks!

stevecycles said:
I know tires come in various widths, the most popular seem to be 23 and 25's, going up to 32's for touring and cyclocross. When I look at wheel sets, the width is never mentioned. Can a wheel set accept that wide of a range of widths, or am I missing something?

Not looking at doing anything, but gaining knowledge and just noticed that tires are marked but wheel sets don't seem to be.

Thanks!
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width
It is possible to get the specifications for the rims, but it isn't as easy to find as on the tires.

stevecycles said:

Thanks!
Wheels will safely accept a pretty wide range of tire widths.

Bike frames will often limit how wide of a tire you can use because a larger tire will rub on the chainstays, seat tube or front derailleur.