tired after like 4 miles

billybob1992002

Jan 19, 2005
i ride like 30-40 miles 3 times a week. but the problem is that the first like 4-6 miles my legs just burn and i get tired and just want to quit but after that it is like i sometimes get a second wind i guess and i feel better and my legs don't hurt and then other times i just hurt to even get through 20 miles.it really sucks in races b/c i get dropped after like a lap and never can catch back up but after the race i am not tired at all. what is going on.

billybob1992002 said:
i ride like 30-40 miles 3 times a week. but the problem is that the first like 4-6 miles my legs just burn and i get tired and just want to quit but after that it is like i sometimes get a second wind i guess and i feel better and my legs don't hurt and then other times i just hurt to even get through 20 miles.it really sucks in races b/c i get dropped after like a lap and never can catch back up but after the race i am not tired at all. what is going on.
How is your pre-ride nutrition? Too much carb or too little? Could be hypo- or hyper-glycemia

Do you warm up first by riding along easily for 10-20 minutes and then increasing the pace? If you try to hammer right out the door, your anaerobic energy system is called into play without any help from your aerobic system yet and causes your blood sugar to fluctuate rapidly - thus the feeling like ****.

umm i dunno know about my pre ride diet. i don't keep track of it i try to eat pasta every night. when i ride i don't hammer it to start out with. i just go at what feels good and a comforatable speed.

billybob1992002 said:
pre-race nutrition could definitely play a part. do you eat or drink soon after you start racing?

also, has your training focused on starting hard in a race at all? i mean that if you haven't trained your body to go out hard and settle into your race pace, then it may be hard to get out quick because you're simply not trained to do so.
for example, one great swim workout for triathletes are sprint starts or dive starts where they either do a 25-100+ meter sprint to train their bodies to start hard, and then they settle into their usual race pace.

also, you may need to rethink your warm-up routine depending on the type and length of the race.

Ok, I was considering the race where you talked about getting dropped. But if it's just in your normal everyday riding, I'd suggest that you look at your pre-ride nutrition because it may be a hypoglycemia as mentioned by in.10.city.

billybob1992002 said:
what should i eat to help me out.
do you eat anything in particular now?
how long before the ride do you eat and what do you usually consume?

I used to have the same issue, especially on my typical weekday rides. Once I moved indoors and did some trainer rides this fall, I noticed on the CTS videos that they had a certain way that they warm you up. In particular, they have you do a couple of high cadence, heavy effort intervals to get your muscle recovery systems engaged and working properly. Since I started adding that routine to my warmup, I haven't had to power through the dead leg issue. It has made a real difference for me. If you have one of their videos you might check their warm up routine out and compare it to your own.

Sometimes the mind says no, not today, I do not have what it takes to do this.

Exercise is not only physical but mental. Your mind needs to be rested as well as your body before major exercise events.

Stress will reduce your performance and edurance, let alone your motivation to start.

Ensure restful night sleep and stress is checked.

My two cent!

Catrike Road #116.

"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown

billybob1992002 said:
what should i eat to help me out.
There are a lot of good books and other resources out there that can help you to dial in your pre and post ride nutrition. Ed Burke's "Optimum Muscle Performance and Recovery" and Chris Carmichaels' "Food for Fitness" are two good resources.

thanks guys i have been under alot of stress right now with a bunch of stuff and my mind does just say not today. i went today to try and do some hills b/c i was supose to do a race on sunday and i could only do two hills and i was spent but earlier on wed i rode 44 miles. i dunno what is going on. i am pretty new to the wholoe race and training sceene and i just want to get better.

billybob1992002 said:

Can you tell me what "like 30-40 miles" means ?

Or what does "that is like I sometimes" mean ?

Finally "after like a lap" ?
What is like a lap ?

Are you learning how to write in english in school ?
Or are you writing in the same way that you speak, perhaps ?

limerickman said:

What is like a lap ?

he just says "like" a lot and doesn't punctuate very well. makes sense. you just have to read it a few times. lol. :p

i know how to write thank you.

30-40 miles mean i ride 30-40 miles.
it feels like when i ride i get a second wind or basically i just get my energy back
every race i have done so far has been a 6 or 7 mile course

does this help you out a little bit.

billybob1992002 said:

it feels like when i ride i get a second wind or basically i just get my energy back

I'd look in to the nutrition issues others raise, but I think the primary issue is warm up. On training rides it is entirely normal to feel slow and not together in the beginning. Your heart rate is low, your body is cold and hasn't normalized between outside and inside temperature. When you're training, just slog through it and then keep going.

On race day, you simply have to warm up. It's essential. You cannot go into a race cold with a low heart rate. Individuals are different and you determine what works for you. For me, a five to ten mile warm up session before a race is essential. If you start on form, you'll race on form.

If it seems more serious, see a doctor.

limerickman said:

What is like a lap ?

Dude, this is like how people talk in like America, ya *******.:D

billybob1992002 said:

Can you lay out what you eat and at what times you eat - including what you consume during your ride, and the time of your ride? What is the warm-up procedure that you go through prior to your ride and races?

well for eating i usually eat about a hour and a half before i ride i try to eat some pasta or pizza and usually get something else like a burger or quesadilla. i usually ride in the early afternoon around 2-3. on my ride if i plan on being out for a while i like to bring along some granolla bars and i drink gatorade and also water. as for a warm up well i just start riding and don't go real hard on the first part of my ride and for a race i ride around th parking lot for a while throw in some sprints and stuff until i feel good.

billybob1992002 said:
well for eating i usually eat about a hour and a half before i ride i try to eat some pasta or pizza and usually get something else like a burger or quesadilla. i usually ride in the early afternoon around 2-3. on my ride if i plan on being out for a while i like to bring along some granolla bars and i drink gatorade and also water. as for a warm up well i just start riding and don't go real hard on the first part of my ride and for a race i ride around th parking lot for a while throw in some sprints and stuff until i feel good.
I can't speak for everyone, but a pre-ride/race meal of pizza or a burger or quesadilla wouldn't sit too well in my stomach. It's pretty high in fat content and for a pre-ride/race meal you'll want to look for something relatively high in carbohydrates so you can stock up on your body's most readily available fuel. You may be taking in too much fat/protein and might want to stick more with the pasta dish you mentioned. Gatorade as a beverage can help as well. But just something that's pretty easily digested by your body so you don't go into a ride/race with a stomach full of burger/quesadilla/pizza.