tiredness and lack of energy

brad g

Jul 22, 2006
When I first started on the diet/exercise routine 5 weeks ago, I felt great all the time. I had been fairly sedentary for a couple of years and it felt good to be moving around and I had an almost endless supply of energy. I seemed to hit a brick wall today though. I got plenty of sleep and left my house at 2:30am as usual for the 11 mile ride to work. I just couldn't find a pace that I could keep. It felt like every pedal stroke was an uphill battle. It honestly felt like I was carrying an extra hundred pounds on my back. After I got to work, It wasn't any better and I literally dozed off several times while working on lifts (I'm a forklift mechanic). I don't know if it's something that I'm missing in my diet. I mostly eat salad, baked chicken, split pea soup and various fruits. Has anyone else experienced this? I didn't even have the energy for the ride home and had to put the bike in a friend's truck and have him drop me at the house. I know that 22 miles a day is totally do-able and plenty of people commute way farther than that.

brad g said:
When I first started on the diet/exercise routine 5 weeks ago, I felt great all the time. I had been fairly sedentary for a couple of years and it felt good to be moving around and I had an almost endless supply of energy. I seemed to hit a brick wall today though. I got plenty of sleep and left my house at 2:30am as usual for the 11 mile ride to work. I just couldn't find a pace that I could keep. It felt like every pedal stroke was an uphill battle. It honestly felt like I was carrying an extra hundred pounds on my back. After I got to work, It wasn't any better and I literally dozed off several times while working on lifts (I'm a forklift mechanic). I don't know if it's something that I'm missing in my diet. I mostly eat salad, baked chicken, split pea soup and various fruits. Has anyone else experienced this? I didn't even have the energy for the ride home and had to put the bike in a friend's truck and have him drop me at the house. I know that 22 miles a day is totally do-able and plenty of people commute way farther than that.

Maybe you just need to factor a rest day in, now and again, or maybe you're pushing too hard.

caloric deficit
over training
just a bad day

A caloric deficit will run your glycogen levels down, possibly over a period of several days. You end up with no snap in your legs and you struggle to produce the power you are normally able to. This usually won't make you mentally tired, but continual exercise while caloricly deficient will make over training more likely. Try eating more.

Overtraining occurs when you exceed the volume-intensity product that your body can tolerate. Just because other people can tolerate a a certain training does not mean your current fitness level can. Overtraining will make you physically tired and mentally lethargic. Take a few days off and see how you feel.

Bad days just happen. Nothing you can do about them. Being well fed and well rested plus using good recovery techniques after working out makes them less likely.

I'd bet you are dehydrated. My suggestion is drink loads of water. You won't know you are dehydrated until it's too late

Berlingoman said:
I'd bet you are dehydrated. My suggestion is drink loads of water. You won't know you are dehydrated until it's too late
And keep drinking all day. Last Friday, right after my ride, I drank about 32 ounces, but forgot to keep it drinking all afternoon. By the time I was ready to go home I had an awful headache, and later I could barely stay awake through supper.

brad g said:
Are you diabetic?

brad g said:
Hi.Maybe your'e lacking some iron and vitamins,maybe you have a virus and it's takkking a toll on your'e immune system at this time give your'e self a break and see if you feel better in a few,also try some food intake with fiber and some cranberry juice that helps clear out your'e system sometimes,and a apple a day ya know the saying but really energy bar is also good and no surger intake ,try to see if any of this works,hope you have better days ahead.bye
Twaney

Berlingoman said:
Hi,If your'e feeling real tired and you have no energy ,try water thats good for cell dehydration but also gatorade is really good for putting all the electralights and hydration back into you're system,eat crackers with salt to ,if you're not better then go to er your'e need them to insert iv into you're system from being dehydrated so long ,hope you feel better.twaney:)

brad g said:
Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes... happens every time I don't eat enough carbs before and during my ride. Sounds to me like you just ran out of fuel. Have a nice big bowl of cereal next time, or perhaps a delicious bagel!

WINGNUTT said:
Yes... happens every time I don't eat enough carbs before and during my ride. Sounds to me like you just ran out of fuel. Have a nice big bowl of cereal next time, or perhaps a delicious bagel!
I agree that it looks like your diet is lacking in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are the only fuel your body can use effeciently while you are riding. While you are resting, your body can convert fat to glycogen to replace what was used up during the ride, but that process is too slow to sustain you while you ride. A bowl of whole grain cereal or red beans and rice before you start should get you through an 11 mile ride.

You should need about 100 calories as complex carbohydrates 15 minutes before you start, and every 45 minutes while you are riding. A bowl of cereal with skim milk will last me for the first 15 to 20 miles. If I do not eat something again by mile 15, I will bonk by mile 25. If I wait until I start to slow down to eat, I never catch up and have a miserable ride. If I eat every 45 minutes and stay well hydrated, I can go forever.

Bro Deal said:
caloric deficit
over training
just a bad day

A caloric deficit will run your glycogen levels down, possibly over a period of several days. You end up with no snap in your legs and you struggle to produce the power you are normally able to. This usually won't make you mentally tired, but continual exercise while caloricly deficient will make over training more likely. Try eating more.

Overtraining occurs when you exceed the volume-intensity product that your body can tolerate. Just because other people can tolerate a a certain training does not mean your current fitness level can. Overtraining will make you physically tired and mentally lethargic. Take a few days off and see how you feel.

Bad days just happen. Nothing you can do about them. Being well fed and well rested plus using good recovery techniques after working out makes them less likely.
+1. Most people think diets and starving yourself go hand in hand.

Make sure you eat lots of food! Just quality food. If you aren't taking in enough nutrients, you're going to lack in the energy department.