Tires, Cletus and Compromise

bentcruiser

New Member
Apr 18, 2003
I resolved my tire situation I had posted about earlier. Kinda peeves me that the original tires only lasted 400 miles. But that was not the quickest tire life I have seen in the least.

Anyway, Cletus and others, I appreciate the help. I did not take the tire advice though. I am a really avid fan of a small LBS. So I try to do most of my shopping at their store. So my tire choice was based on that, the time factor and price (some suggested tire was $37).

The LBS had an Avocet Cross II tire. It was in 26" x 1.5" just like I needed. It has a lice looking "inverted" tread pattern. They have a kevlar belt too. They can be seen here: http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/cross_2.html

The downside some may contend is that they are only 85 psi. It does not, however, seem to be a downside. I have ridden approximately 60 or 70 miles on it with no problems. I typically air it up to about 90psi.

If the loss of power is there from the lower psi, I have taken no note of it. It seems to be a very well made tire.

Derek

> I resolved my tire situation I had posted about earlier. Kinda peeves me that the original tires
> only lasted 400 miles. But that was not the quickest tire life I have seen in the least.
>
> Anyway, Cletus and others, I appreciate the help. I did not take the tire advice though. I am a
> really avid fan of a small LBS. So I try to do most of my shopping at their store. So my tire
> choice was based on that, the time factor and price (some suggested tire was $37).

I am a firm believer in supporting your LBS too. With the possible exception of Schwalbe, your LBS
should be able get any of the recommended tires for you. Both the Continental and Vredestein tires
can be ordered through normal suppliers with delivery usually in a week (with possible exceptions
for Oklahoma). Not only that, my LBS will usually match online prices or come very close.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Re your comment on Schwalbe, I just bought a Schwalbe from my LBS; so they are available.

Bill Kelley "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
says...
> > I resolved my tire situation I had posted about earlier. Kinda peeves me that the original tires
> > only lasted 400 miles. But that was not the quickest tire life I have seen in the least.
> >
> > Anyway, Cletus and others, I appreciate the help. I did not take the tire advice though. I am a
> > really avid fan of a small LBS. So I try to do most of my shopping at their store. So my tire
> > choice was based on that, the time factor and price (some suggested tire was $37).
>
> I am a firm believer in supporting your LBS too. With the possible
exception of Schwalbe, your
> LBS should be able get any of the recommended tires for you. Both the
Continental and
> Vredestein tires can be ordered through normal suppliers with delivery
usually in a week (with
> possible exceptions for Oklahoma). Not only that, my LBS will usually
match online prices or
> come very close.

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

My LBS was able to order anything I wanted. Though the scope of their tire reasoning seems limited. They said the Primos were some of the best tires around to which I had to chuckle a bit.

They are not bad tires but they do offer a lot to be desired in the durability department. I did want a bit more tread as well.

I guess in an ambiguous way I was just saying that I am really glad i bought the Avocet tire, though it does only inflate to 85psi. I cannot tell a difference enough to make me want another tire.

Some have told me 100psi or nothing. To me, this 85psi tire is a good touring tire. I usually fill it to 90psi. It does the job. Of course, speed does not hold much interest for me. I just do not want to feel like I am struggling. And I don't.

I am test it again this weekend as I hook up my Burley Nomad for an overnight trip.

Derek

> My LBS was able to order anything I wanted. Though the scope of their tire reasoning seems
> limited. They said the Primos were some of the best tires around to which I had to chuckle a bit.
>
> They are not bad tires but they do offer a lot to be desired in the durability department. I did
> want a bit more tread as well.
>
> I guess in an ambiguous way I was just saying that I am really glad i bought the Avocet tire,
> though it does only inflate to 85psi. I cannot tell a difference enough to make me want
> another tire.
>
> Some have told me 100psi or nothing. To me, this 85psi tire is a good touring tire. I usually fill
> it to 90psi. It does the job. Of course, speed does not hold much interest for me. I just do not
> want to feel like I am struggling. And I don't.
>
> I am test it again this weekend as I hook up my Burley Nomad for an overnight trip.

There is an interesting opinion that suggest that 85psi may be just fine. This appeared in the
latest RoadBikeRider.com Newsletter Issue No. 94 - 05/15/03 ISSN 1536-4143

Published every Thursday by Ed Pavelka and Fred Matheny of RBR Publishing Company. ...

I'll quote a part of "Uncle Al's" Rant.

"A properly inflated road tire (700x23C) at 6bar/87 psi has about the same rolling resistance as the
same tire at 8bar/115 psi. But at the higher pressure, the rider gives up some of the cornering
traction and comfort so necessary to cycling.

There's a perception that running tires at 115-140 psi somehow makes a rider faster. What those
maximum pressures really do is accelerate wear, compromise handling and give an extremely harsh and
skittish ride.

Super-high pressure also compromises the integrity of your wheels and, in the case of a high-speed
blowout, can assure you of a visit with the pavement. Heavy braking while descending will heat the
rims and increase pressures well beyond the danger zone.

I've talked to pros about tire pressure. They universally agree that inflation to 85-100 psi is
plenty, depending on road conditions. Pressures up to 110-115 psi are fine on a smooth time trial
course without many corners."

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Bill Kelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Re your comment on Schwalbe, I just bought a Schwalbe from my LBS; so they are available.
>
> Bill Kelley "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> says...
> > > I resolved my tire situation I had posted about earlier. Kinda peeves me that the original
> > > tires only lasted 400 miles. But that was not the quickest tire life I have seen in the least.
> > >
> > > Anyway, Cletus and others, I appreciate the help. I did not take the tire advice though. I am
> > > a really avid fan of a small LBS. So I try to do most of my shopping at their store. So my
> > > tire choice was based on that, the time factor and price (some suggested tire was $37).
> >
> > I am a firm believer in supporting your LBS too. With the possible
> exception of Schwalbe, ...
> > --
> >
> > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
> > - Bellaire, TX USA -

I was just furious when my first Schwalbe blew in less than one day, but Schwalbe has a newley
designed tire with double compound. I gave them a second chance, and these new tires have been
flawless so far.

Only problem- my LBS will have nothing to do with my TT or "those skinny rubber band 20" tires".
E-mail to Canada; got my tires with no hassles.

I am very pleased with these tires (I am a fan of longevity- and I like the reflective
sidewalls too!)

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

"Bill Kelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Re your comment on Schwalbe, I just bought a Schwalbe from my LBS; so they are available.

I just had my LBS locate and order a Schwalbe Stelvio for me. No problem.

When I need something that I could order over the 'net, I prefer to have my LBS order it for me.
Costs a buck or two more, but I have someone I can take it back to if it doesn't work out, I'm not
responsible for the hassles, AND I keep my LBS in business.

I wish doing business with the shops on the 'net was as hassle-free as doing business with my LBS
(who doesn't sell ANY recumbents by the way).

As usual, My $0.02 worth

<Chas