Tires for American "hooked edge rims" 26X1.375

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jack Vietas, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Jack Vietas

    Jack Vietas Guest

    Dear group, I'm trying to find tires for my father's pre-war Hartford lightweight. What I need is a
    mail order source for 26 X 1.375 tires, whitewall or black is fine. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks, -Jack

    Tags:

  2. Jack Vietas wrote:
    > Dear group, I'm trying to find tires for my father's pre-war Hartford lightweight. What I need is
    > a mail order source for 26 X 1.375 tires, whitewall or black is fine. Any suggestions appreciated.

    That's a tough one. What you seek is the 599 ISO/E.T.R.T.O. size, and as far as I know, they've been
    extinct for quite a few years.

    The closest match would be the 597 mm size, known as _Schwinn_ 26 x 1
    3/8. (also known as English 26 x 1 1/4.)

    These are available from various sources, including http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires.html#597.

    They are not guaranteed to work, but that's what I'd try.

    Sheldon "Close Enough?" Brown Evanston, Illinois +----------------------------------------+
    | Friends don't send friends vcf files. |
    +----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
    9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Jack Vietas wrote:

    > Dear group, I'm trying to find tires for my father's pre-war Hartford lightweight. What I need is
    > a mail order source for 26 X 1.375 tires, whitewall or black is fine. Any suggestions appreciated.
    > Thanks, -Jack
    Yes. I couldn't email you directly so email me.

  4. Jack Vietas <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dear group, I'm trying to find tires for my father's pre-war Hartford lightweight. What I need is
    > a mail order source for 26 X 1.375 tires, whitewall or black is fine. Any suggestions appreciated.
    > Thanks, -Jack

    26 x 1 3/8 is a 590mm bead seat. (note that 1.375 as a decimal is conventionally taken to mean an
    MTB (559mm) tyre 1.375" high/wide)

    www.sjscycles.com (in the UK) offer them in 35 or 37 width from Continental, Schwalbe or Michelin