Tires for American "hooked edge rims" 26X1.375

Jack Vietas

Guest
Dear group, I'm trying to find tires for my father's pre-war Hartford lightweight. What I need is a
mail order source for 26 X 1.375 tires, whitewall or black is fine. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks, -Jack

Jack Vietas wrote:
> Dear group, I'm trying to find tires for my father's pre-war Hartford lightweight. What I need is
> a mail order source for 26 X 1.375 tires, whitewall or black is fine. Any suggestions appreciated.

That's a tough one. What you seek is the 599 ISO/E.T.R.T.O. size, and as far as I know, they've been
extinct for quite a few years.

The closest match would be the 597 mm size, known as _Schwinn_ 26 x 1
3/8. (also known as English 26 x 1 1/4.)

These are available from various sources, including http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires.html#597.

They are not guaranteed to work, but that's what I'd try.

Sheldon "Close Enough?" Brown Evanston, Illinois +----------------------------------------+
| Friends don't send friends vcf files. |
+----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Jack Vietas wrote:

> Dear group, I'm trying to find tires for my father's pre-war Hartford lightweight. What I need is
> a mail order source for 26 X 1.375 tires, whitewall or black is fine. Any suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks, -Jack
Yes. I couldn't email you directly so email me.

Jack Vietas <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear group, I'm trying to find tires for my father's pre-war Hartford lightweight. What I need is
> a mail order source for 26 X 1.375 tires, whitewall or black is fine. Any suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks, -Jack

26 x 1 3/8 is a 590mm bead seat. (note that 1.375 as a decimal is conventionally taken to mean an
MTB (559mm) tyre 1.375" high/wide)

www.sjscycles.com (in the UK) offer them in 35 or 37 width from Continental, Schwalbe or Michelin