tires for slickrocks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by green ride, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. green ride

    green ride Guest

    Any suggestions? Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    green ride <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Any suggestions? Thanks!

    Ummmmm.....slicks. Seriously.

    Tom

  3. tcmedara wrote:
    > green ride <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Any suggestions? Thanks!

    > Ummmmm.....slicks. Seriously.
    >
    > Tom

    I say better/smoother riding techniques. Helped me a whole lot more than
    equipment ever did.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. green ride

    green ride Guest

    Thanks you all. Yeah, I am gonna go with semi slicks (1.95) and worn-out
    2.1.
    "green ride" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Any suggestions? Thanks!

  5. cheg

    cheg Guest

  6. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 16:43:57 -0400, "green ride" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Any suggestions? Thanks!

    Schwalbe Supermoto in the 2.35 width, or Michelin Rock

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  7. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    schwalbe big apple/super moto 26x2.35 - it's the fattest slick around.

    chalo

  8. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    wrote:

    >Any suggestions? Thanks!

    Big and smooth, not knobby. Carry patches, glue, levers, pump, etc.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  9. DirtRoadie

    DirtRoadie Guest

    "green ride" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Any suggestions? Thanks!

    Are we talking THE Slickrock Trail?
    Desirable characteristics would be (1) sticky rubber, (2) minimal or
    no tread, and (3) fat

    My favorite - Continental Town and Country. Very grippy natural
    rubber, inverted tread design that with a smooth exterior contour that
    works like a slick yet provides some traction in loose conditions too.
    Not as fat as it could be, not especially light.

    The biggest problem with any type of knobby is squirminess on side
    slopes.

    DR

  10. Bill Lloyd

    Bill Lloyd Guest

    On 2004-10-06 08:33:54 -0700, [email protected] (DirtRoadie) said:

    > "green ride" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Any suggestions? Thanks!

    > Are we talking THE Slickrock Trail?
    > Desirable characteristics would be (1) sticky rubber, (2) minimal or
    > no tread, and (3) fat
    >
    > My favorite - Continental Town and Country. Very grippy natural
    > rubber, inverted tread design that with a smooth exterior contour that
    > works like a slick yet provides some traction in loose conditions too.
    > Not as fat as it could be, not especially light.

    T&C would be a great tire.

    Note, about 15% of the slickrock trail is pure sand, like 12" deep
    sand, between the rocks. Slicks sorta suck there. The sand is worse
    in the dry season... from May until November or so.

  11. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Bill Lloyd wrote:

    > Note, about 15% of the slickrock trail is pure sand, like 12" deep
    > sand, between the rocks. Slicks sorta suck there. The sand is worse
    > in the dry season... from May until November or so.

    I've never done the Slickrock, but if those are the conditions I'd have to
    agree. A bald semi-slick like a Bontrager Revolt SS or original Ritchey
    Speedmax will give you a lot more control in the sand. The minimal side knobs
    and/or squarish profile will save your bacon in the blind, sandy corners. And
    these tires give up very little to a full slick on the hard stuff, in terms of
    speed, or grip on rocks.

    Much of the riding in southern CA is hardpack with occasional patches of loose
    sand. I also commuted 10-15 miles each way to the trailheads. I found the
    Revolts to be perfect for those conditions.

    Matt O.