Tires For Wet Weather Riding

kokamiguardz

Jun 28, 2015
My current tires don't seem to have great grip in wet weather (during rain or after rain when roads are still wet) so I am looking for a new set of tires for the rainy season here (aka winter).

Ideally I want something that
1) is very puncture resistance (I ride recreationally and commute so flats are a real bummer)
2) has good grip, wet and dry
3) Doesn't weight a ton, but doesn't need to be ultra light

I am less concerned with price then, and the above are more important to me then long term durability from normal wear.

I am planning to get 23 mm, but since I plan to use these winter only I might consider something a little bit wider if it would improve wet weather traction (assuming my bike can handle it, probably 25mm is about the most it would take).

I expect I would swap tires out at the end of the rain season to my current tires.

Any suggestions on tires that have great wet weather traction is appreciated.

I'm using Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tires and they work well. Another tire I've heard good things about but haven't tried is the Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech.

I'm using the Vredestein Volante Tricomp. Great all around tire, probably about as good as you'll get for what you're looking for. Easy to pop the bead on and off as well. I just picked up another set at Performance for $29.95 each.

I've been very happy with the stickiness and puncture resistance of Maxxis Re-fuses in the past. But, they're not long lasting, heavy and comparatively slow rolling. But, cheap.

I'm currently using Conti GP 4 Seasons in 25mm and 28mm. I'm reasonably happy with their adhesion in the wet, have yet to suffer a flat with them and suspect they'll last a little longer than the Re-fuses did. But, they're more costly.

I've also been happy with the adhesion of Michelin Optimum Pros. But, those are probably more of a dry weather performance tire and they're not long lasting at all.

Despite online and personal recommendations, I was immensely unhappy with Vittoria Rubino Pros. But, have not tried the Rubino Pro Tech. The normal Rubino Pro were amongst the slipperiest tires I've used. They were hard. But, long lasting. I kept wishing they would die so I could replace them. One of them still remains in the garage as a "when all else fails" and I haven't got a replacement on hand tire.

Amongst those that I've tried, I would give Conti GP 4 Seasons the nod for best combo of traction, puncture resistance, life expectancy and weight. Just at a slight cost premium.

road bike tires don't disperse water like an automobile, so providing your tires are in decent condition to begin with, lower tire pressures when it rains will have the largest impact. as for puncture resistance, gatorskins and rubino pros worked fine for me. try either in 25mm sizes as you can run lower pressures and achieve more comfort.

What are your idea of good flat protection? The above mentioned Conti GP Season is a good wet whether tire and has decent protection for a road tire, but it is meant to be an all trainer and not a commuter. I use use them as my winter tires in 25mm and like them quite a bit.

thepieeatingjay said:
I've heard good things about but haven't tried is the Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech.
I have those on now at 23. I wanted the 25 ones but they were not in stock.

I have about 3000km on them and until now zero flats and no cuts (well I pulled a large piece of glass the other day which kinda went deep but no bulging). No bulges either.

The sidewalls are Gatorskin style and they hold up well.

Positive:

Puncture resistance
Strong
Good grip (they feel like they don't grip, but they do... Difficult to explain).
Price (30 Euro each, even cheaper then normal Rubino Pros).
260g for 23 is fine... Conti GP are just 15g lighter and yeah... they did take that out of the sidewalls which are a guaranteed fail as it seems to me (and a few others actually).

Negative:

The are a harsh ride... They say that they are rated to 145 psi but that doesn't seem like a good idea for a lot of reasons.

Good luck! :)

Bontrager All-Weather 2s or 3s. And unless you're a super lightweight, consider 25mm and lowering the pressure 5-10ps from whatever you run your 23s at. You'll get a more pleasant ride, better flat resistance, better grip, and you might even roll faster.

Conti GP4000S2. They seem to grip like chewing gum on the bottom of your shoe on a hot summers day regardless of what weather you ride in...

Schwalbe Duranos. Sticky compound for wet conditions and really good flat resistance. The flat resistance isn't QUITE as good as the SMPs, but close.
When I was living in mid-TN I commuted 210 miles per week. As you can imagine I had no patience with ANY tire or mechanical issues. Had 2 identically equipped commuter bikes. They were both Motobecane 2x9 Fantom Cross' from bikesdirect. One had SMPs w/Forte puncture resistant tubes for dry weather and the Duranos for wet or anticipated wet weather w/Fortes as well. Weight wasn't and shouldn't be an issue when the object is to GET THERE. On time. With minimal issues. There's not a lot of snow in the winter there, so studs were unnecessary.
The difference in grip was obvious and substantial. I ran 28mm on both bikes. A compromise between rolling resistance and wear rate. I would purchase them in 3s as the rears wore at approximately 2x the rate of the front.
They ARE pricey, but I rode WELL over 80,000 miles in ten years having ONE flat. That fact is a testament to the product(s) and manufacturer. They both come in 25mm as well.

swampy1970 said:
Conti GP4000S2. They seem to grip like chewing gum on the bottom of your shoe on a hot summers day regardless of what weather you ride in...

For a short period of time... :D