Tires getting burned up on indoor trainer

ffigs11

Dec 16, 2004
I am fairly new to cycling and I just bought an indoor trainer. I rode on it for about 15 minutes when I looked down I saw my that the rubber on my tires was coming off. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong or what would cause this. When I look at the tire on the trainer it seems the tire hits the roller but in some spots it doesn't.

ffigs11 said:
I am fairly new to cycling and I just bought an indoor trainer. I rode on it for about 15 minutes when I looked down I saw my that the rubber on my tires was coming off. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong or what would cause this. When I look at the tire on the trainer it seems the tire hits the roller but in some spots it doesn't.

Do you mean the tire is coming apart or just some residue is on the trainer roller?
The tire should contact the roller consistently and smoothly.
Some trainers are tension loaded and others just adjust by moving the frame.
Either way it sounds like a "trainer frame adjustment problem".

ffigs11 said:
There was recently a thread on this topic. All the info you want can be found there.

I bought a fluid trainer (from Performance, apparently made by Elite) about one month ago and have been using it about 3x per week since. So far no tire wear on cheap tires that already have about 1000 road miles (Maxxis Detonator). The instructions with the trainer suggest setting the roller so that it just begins to touch the tire lightly, which is how I've been using it.

ffigs11 said:

As the other postings suggest, setup of the trainer is crucial. Your choice of tyre is also important though - some tyres handle trainers better. My fave is the one that Continental recommends for use on a trainer, the Ultrasport. I use the fold-up version which is an acceptable weight to ride on the road too.