tires, I've decided.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Callistus Valer, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and have tried many tires. This is how I
    rank them.

    1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95
    is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it wears quite
    rapidly on the rear wheel.
    2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the gatorskin, and their
    cheap lines.
    3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a tube. Can't get the damn
    things off or on.
    4. Specialized -- sure I gave the armadillos a try. Got the same number of flats, and for a
    reward you get to push one of heaviest tires ever made.
    5. Vittoria -- only tried the cheap one. If you pump more then 95 psi the tube pops. Put some
    cotton in your ears to avoid injury.

    Tubes

    6. Nashbar -- heavy tube, but I just hate to change flats.
    7. Specialized - lighter, almost as good.
    8. Conti's -- maybe bad luck, but I just can't keep the air in these.

    Tags:

  2. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

    Callistus Valerius <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and have tried many tires. This is how I
    : rank them.

    : 1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95
    : is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it wears
    : quite rapidly on the rear wheel.

    There are many people on this newsgroup that ride more miles than you do and would never recommend a
    tire that wears out rapidly. What is the point of that?

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

  3. "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > 1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95
    > is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it wears
    > quite rapidly on the rear wheel.

    Never tried these, I'll have to give them a spin.

    > 2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the gatorskin, and their
    > cheap lines.

    I've had good luck with their Ultra 2000 in the old fashion black. Not too expensive in the wire
    bead version.

    > 3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a tube. Can't get the
    > damn things off or on.

    My wife has Rolfs on her Trek and we never had any trouble mounting Michelins. They are a little
    tight on some of my rims but nothing too bad. Perhaps your pair of Rolfs are a little oversize.

    > Tubes
    > 1. Nashbar -- heavy tube, but I just hate to change flats.

    I had a rather embarassing number of flats on cheap Nashbar tubes. I kept thinking "tubes are tubes"
    and attributed my spate of punctures to bad luck. When I changed brands my luck greatly improved.

    > 2. Specialized - lighter, almost as good.
    > 3. Conti's -- maybe bad luck, but I just can't keep the air in these.

    I never had any problems with either.

    Bruce
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company