tires, I've decided.

• Thread starter Callistus Valer
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Callistus Valer

I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and have tried many tires. This is how I
rank them.

1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95
is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it wears quite
rapidly on the rear wheel.
2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the gatorskin, and their
cheap lines.
3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a tube. Can't get the damn
things off or on.
4. Specialized -- sure I gave the armadillos a try. Got the same number of flats, and for a
reward you get to push one of heaviest tires ever made.
5. Vittoria -- only tried the cheap one. If you pump more then 95 psi the tube pops. Put some
cotton in your ears to avoid injury.

Tubes

6. Nashbar -- heavy tube, but I just hate to change flats.
7. Specialized - lighter, almost as good.
8. Conti's -- maybe bad luck, but I just can't keep the air in these.

Callistus Valerius <[email protected]> wrote:
: I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and have tried many tires. This is how I
: rank them.

: 1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95
: is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it wears
: quite rapidly on the rear wheel.

There are many people on this newsgroup that ride more miles than you do and would never recommend a
tire that wears out rapidly. What is the point of that?

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> 1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95
> is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it wears
> quite rapidly on the rear wheel.

Never tried these, I'll have to give them a spin.

> 2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the gatorskin, and their
> cheap lines.

I've had good luck with their Ultra 2000 in the old fashion black. Not too expensive in the wire
bead version.

> 3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a tube. Can't get the
> damn things off or on.

My wife has Rolfs on her Trek and we never had any trouble mounting Michelins. They are a little
tight on some of my rims but nothing too bad. Perhaps your pair of Rolfs are a little oversize.

> Tubes
> 1. Nashbar -- heavy tube, but I just hate to change flats.

I had a rather embarassing number of flats on cheap Nashbar tubes. I kept thinking "tubes are tubes"
and attributed my spate of punctures to bad luck. When I changed brands my luck greatly improved.

> 2. Specialized - lighter, almost as good.
> 3. Conti's -- maybe bad luck, but I just can't keep the air in these.

I never had any problems with either.

Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

Status
Not open for further replies.