Tires, I've decided.

Callistus Valer

Guest
I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and have tried many tires. This is how I
rank them.

1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95
is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it wears quite
rapidly on the rear wheel.
2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the gatorskin, and their
cheap lines.
3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a tube. Can't get the damn
things off or on.
4. Specialized -- sure I gave the armadillos a try. Got the same number of flats, and for a
reward you get to push one of heaviest tires ever made.
5. Vittoria -- only tried the cheap one. If you pump more then 95 psi the tube pops. Put some
cotton in your ears to avoid injury.

Tubes

6. Nashbar -- heavy tube, but I just hate to change flats.
7. Specialized - lighter, almost as good.
8. Conti's -- maybe bad luck, but I just can't keep the air in these.

so you are saying that my Ritchie Tom Slicks are a worthless tire even though they have been a great
tire for me?

news:[email protected]... I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and
[...]

news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and have tried many tires. This is how I
> rank them.
>
> 1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95
> is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it wears
> quite rapidly on the rear wheel.
> 2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the gatorskin, and their
> cheap lines.
> 3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a tube. Can't get the
> damn things off or on.
> 4. Specialized -- sure I gave the armadillos a try. Got the same number of flats, and for a
> reward you get to push one of heaviest tires ever made.
> 5. Vittoria -- only tried the cheap one. If you pump more then 95 psi the tube pops. Put some
> cotton in your ears to avoid injury.
>
> Tubes
>
> 1. Nashbar -- heavy tube, but I just hate to change flats.
> 2. Specialized - lighter, almost as good.
> 3. Conti's -- maybe bad luck, but I just can't keep the air in these.

Hi, what did you hate about the Gatorskins? I was considering a pair as my choices are limited with
27 x 11/4. I just started riding again, last year. I bought a pair of Nashbar Prima 2 Plus Road
Tires [$12.95 on sale for $9.95], which I have almost 1000 miles on. Knock on wood, I have never had
a flat with these. What I would like is improved performance, over the Prima 2 Plus, with good flat
protection. I am a fair weather rider, so differing weather conditions are not an issue. Anyone else
have experience with 27" tires? Thank you, Jeff

[email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and have tried many tires. This is how I
> > rank them.
> >
> > 1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at
> > $12.95 is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it
> > wears quite rapidly on the rear wheel.
> > 2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the gatorskin, and their
> > cheap lines.
> > 3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a tube. Can't get the
> > damn things off or on.
> > 4. Specialized -- sure I gave the armadillos a try. Got the same number of flats, and for a
> > reward you get to push one of heaviest tires ever made.
> > 5. Vittoria -- only tried the cheap one. If you pump more then 95 psi the tube pops. Put
> > some cotton in your ears to avoid injury.
> >
> > Tubes
> >
> > 1. Nashbar -- heavy tube, but I just hate to change flats.
> > 2. Specialized - lighter, almost as good.
> > 3. Conti's -- maybe bad luck, but I just can't keep the air in these.
>
> Hi, what did you hate about the Gatorskins? I was considering a pair as my choices are limited
> with 27 x 11/4. I just started riding again, last year. I bought a pair of Nashbar Prima 2 Plus
> Road Tires [$12.95 on sale for $9.95], which I have almost 1000 miles on. Knock on wood, I have
> never had a flat with these. What I would like is improved performance, over the Prima 2 Plus,
> with good flat protection. I am a fair weather rider, so differing weather conditions are not an
> issue. Anyone else have experience with 27" tires? Thank you,

Check out Sheldon Brown here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

"Callistus Valerius" [email protected] writes:

<< I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and have tried many tires. This is how I
rank them.

> 1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and
tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95 is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the
ricorso is that it wears quite rapidly on the rear wheel.
> 2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the
gatorskin, and their cheap lines.
> 3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a
tube. Can't get the damn things off or on.
> 4. Specialized -- sure I gave the armadillos a try. Got the same
number of flats, and for a reward you get to push one of heaviest tires ever made.
> 5. Vittoria -- only tried the cheap one. If you pump more then 95 psi
the tube pops. Put some cotton in your ears to avoid >injury.>>.

The Vredestein Fortezzas make you feel like you're riding on silk, and then they wear out like silk.

Robert

> "Callistus Valerius" [email protected] wrote: > 3. Michelins -- If you
have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a
>tube. Can't get the damn things off or on.

And I thought it was just me! I'm glad I found my last flat at home. It took two large flathead
screwdrivers to get the tube changed.

tim

Whoa, better have your insecurity complex looked at. Callistus did not even mention your tire, nor
did he say anything about tires he did not test. Why are you so sensitive?

Tim

"Jake Bellows" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> so you are saying that my Ritchie Tom Slicks are a worthless tire even though they have been a
> great tire for me?
>

> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years,
> and have tried many tires. This is how I rank them.
>
>1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and
> tri-comp. The ricorso at $12.95 is better then all the tires listed
below.
> Only flaw with the ricorso is that it wears quite rapidly on the rear
wheel.
> 2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the gatorskin, and their
> cheap lines.
> 3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a tube. Can't get the
> damn things off or on.
> 4. Specialized -- sure I gave the armadillos a try. Got the same number of flats, and for a
> reward you get to push one of heaviest tires
ever
> made.
> 5. Vittoria -- only tried the cheap one. If you pump more then 95
psi
> the tube pops. Put some cotton in your ears to avoid injury.
>
> Tubes
>
> 1. Nashbar -- heavy tube, but I just hate to change flats.
> 2. Specialized - lighter, almost as good.
> 3. Conti's -- maybe bad luck, but I just can't keep the air in these.

[Anyone else
have experience with 27" tires? Thank you, Jeff [/B][/QUOTE]

I've been riding the Specialized 27 1 1/4 Turbo tyres for abut 6 weeks now and I couldn't be happier with them. They are fast, have a Kevlar liner, are rated to 120psi and have great grip. How quickly they wear is yet to be discovered but considering that they only cost about USD$12.50 I am not worried if they only last a couple of thousand k's.

> The Vredestein Fortezzas make you feel like you're riding on silk, and
then
> they wear out like silk.

I would say they wear at a moderate rate. But with the cuts and all, you wouldn't want a tire
to last forever would you? I do use duck tape for a few of the cuts, but after awhile the tire
has to go.

> More importantly, what the hell kind of name is Callistus?

Think Roman empire.

3. Michelins -- If you
> have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a
> >tube. Can't get the damn things off or on.
>
> And I thought it was just me! I'm glad I found my last flat at home. It took two large flathead
screwdrivers
> to get the tube changed.

I think it depends on the rim. I use Rolfs and mavic ma3's. I have found that the vredesteins
are the easiest to get on and off. I'm guessing, but I think Michelins are hell on a narrow rim,
as I never tried the Michelins on the wider MA3 rim.

fid <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [Anyone else have experience with 27" tires? Thank you, Jeff
>
> I've been riding the Specialized 27 1 1/4 Turbo tyres for abut 6 weeks now and I couldn't be
> happier with them. They are fast, have a Kevlar liner, are rated to 120psi and have great grip.
> How quickly they wear is yet to be discovered but considering that they only cost about USD$12.50
> I am not worried if they only last a couple of thousand k's.

Hi, I looked at Specialized's website, but I'm not sure which tire you are referring to, are they an
Armadilla or? With all this talk of tires, I took a real good look at mine. The front is in great
shape, but the back is looking rough in some areas. It looks like it could start to crumble[?], or
has an appearance similar to what I think dry rot looks like. I looked at a bunch of reviews and did
a search of past posts here in rec.bicycle and I decided to order a set of Conti Ultra Gatorskins.
They should be a real step up from my Nasbar Prima 2 Plus tires. All this tire research began with
me helping out a friend with a Giant OCR 1, he was having flat problems with the stock Michelin
Dynamics. The LBS, sold him a Serfas[?] as a replacement and it is no better. I just ordered a pair
of Vittoria Tecno Pro for him. They use Kevlar in them, so we will see how they work out. As I'm
sure you have found 27 x 11/4 really limits our choices. Time will tell. Jeff

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> 3. Michelins -- If you
>> have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a
>>> tube. Can't get the damn things off or on.
>>
>> And I thought it was just me! I'm glad I found my last flat at home. It took two large flathead
>> screwdrivers to get the tube changed.
>>
> I think it depends on the rim. I use Rolfs and mavic ma3's. I have found that the vredesteins
> are the easiest to get on and off. I'm guessing, but I think Michelins are hell on a narrow
> rim, as I never tried the Michelins on the wider MA3 rim.

If your rims are very shallow it will be harder to get a tire off. I have Rolf Vector Comp wheels
and if I just massage the tires down to the center of the rim I usually get them off without any
tools. Michelin Axial Pro and Hutchinson Carbon Comp is what I've been using.

--
Perre

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[email protected]...
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:40:23 -0700, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> More importantly, what the hell kind of name is Callistus?
> >
> > Think Roman empire.
>
> You name yourself after a pope from the second century AD, a rather controversial one at that?

Weren't they all?

My commuter has 27" wheels. I have been very happy with Conti Sport 1000 tires. They just plain
don't wear out and I like the ride qualities. I have lost a couple to major gashes from glass, but
at $15 a tire, it doesn't hurt much. They are available both in 1 1/4" and 1 1/8 widths.

[email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I've been doing abou 300 miles a week for 3 years, and have tried many tires. This is how I
> > rank them.
> >
> > 1. Vredesteins -- these are excellent the ricoso, volante and tri-comp. The ricorso at
> > $12.95 is better then all the tires listed below. Only flaw with the ricorso is that it
> > wears quite rapidly on the rear wheel.
> > 2. Conti's -- only their expensive ones are worth a damn. Hated the gatorskin, and their
> > cheap lines.
> > 3. Michelins -- If you have Rolf wheels, it takes an hour to change a tube. Can't get the
> > damn things off or on.
> > 4. Specialized -- sure I gave the armadillos a try. Got the same number of flats, and for a
> > reward you get to push one of heaviest tires ever made.
> > 5. Vittoria -- only tried the cheap one. If you pump more then 95 psi the tube pops. Put
> > some cotton in your ears to avoid injury.
> >
> > Tubes
> >
> > 1. Nashbar -- heavy tube, but I just hate to change flats.
> > 2. Specialized - lighter, almost as good.
> > 3. Conti's -- maybe bad luck, but I just can't keep the air in these.
>
> Hi, what did you hate about the Gatorskins? I was considering a pair as my choices are limited
> with 27 x 11/4. I just started riding again, last year. I bought a pair of Nashbar Prima 2 Plus
> Road Tires [$12.95 on sale for $9.95], which I have almost 1000 miles on. Knock on wood, I have
> never had a flat with these. What I would like is improved performance, over the Prima 2 Plus,
> with good flat protection. I am a fair weather rider, so differing weather conditions are not an
> issue. Anyone else have experience with 27" tires? Thank you, Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Starr
fid <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [Anyone else have experience with 27" tires? Thank you, Jeff
>
> I've been riding the Specialized 27 1 1/4 Turbo tyres for abut 6 weeks now and I couldn't be
> happier with them. They are fast, have a Kevlar liner, are rated to 120psi and have great grip.
> How quickly they wear is yet to be discovered but considering that they only cost about USD$12.50
> I am not worried if they only last a couple of thousand k's.

Hi, I looked at Specialized's website, but I'm not sure which tire you are referring to, are they an
Armadilla or?

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSection.jsp?san=03EquipTiresPavement&browselevel=tires

03 Turbo Sport Classic Tire - available in the 27 1/4

Best Regards
Rob