Tires make a big difference!!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by newbie, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. newbie

    newbie Guest

    When I acquired a used Bike E about three months ago, it was shod with Primo V-Monster tires.
    They had lots of grip - and that was the problem - too much grip. They made pedaling hard and
    slow and going up even small hills was a pure bitch (then again, I'm fat and outta shape, so
    whaddya expect?).

    I hied myself off to my local bike shop and ordered a Kenda Street 16 X 1.75 for the front, and a
    Maxxis Hookworm 20 X 1.95. I originally wanted a set of Kenda Kwests, but the dealer couldn't get
    them through their distributor.

    Installed them a few days ago, and they make a big difference. Pedaling is easier - I find I can
    start off in higher gears than I normally would and I can go somewhat faster. On flats and
    downgrades, the ride is positively zippy and I don't have to pedal too hard.

    I kinda like the styling of the Hookworms, but I gotta admit Maxxis has weird names for their tires
    - my dealer's catalogue even shows some Maxxis Ringworms. Yecch.

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. You wold have liked the Kwests better. I currently run a Primo Comet Kevlar
    1.25 on the front of my bikeE and a Tioga Comp Pool on the rear. These are available mail order from
    a number of places often used by posters. I doubt that your LBS does not do business with JB
    Importers they have them available as well as the Kwests. So do most all the distributors.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > When I acquired a used Bike E about three months ago, it was shod with Primo V-Monster tires. They
    > had lots of grip - and that was the problem - too much grip. They made pedaling hard and slow and
    > going up even small hills was a pure bitch (then again, I'm fat and outta shape, so whaddya
    > expect?).
    >
    > I hied myself off to my local bike shop and ordered a Kenda Street 16 X 1.75 for the front, and a
    > Maxxis Hookworm 20 X 1.95. I originally wanted a set of Kenda Kwests, but the dealer couldn't get
    > them through their distributor.
    >
    > Installed them a few days ago, and they make a big difference. Pedaling is easier - I find I can
    > start off in higher gears than I normally would and I can go somewhat faster. On flats and
    > downgrades, the ride is positively zippy and I don't have to pedal too hard.
    >
    > I kinda like the styling of the Hookworms, but I gotta admit Maxxis has weird names for their
    > tires - my dealer's catalogue even shows some Maxxis Ringworms. Yecch.
    >
    > Steve

  3. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    I have seen some Comets before and they look like a good tire. However, a number of other bent
    riders say the tire is flat prone. Have they made some improvements??

  4. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    I had two flats on Primo Comets on my SatRDay in 3+ years, more than 6,000 miles. And two flats in
    one month on Primo Comets on my Greenspeed GTO. I think it's a combination of luck, riding
    conditions, and where on the road you're riding.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  5. "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I think it's a combination of luck, riding conditions, and where on the road you're riding.

    For what is worth I think your right! It does not seem to matter what tires I run I don't get
    many flats.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645

  6. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    I got a flat on my rear primo comet with under 300 miles on the new bike. Do you suppose it was the tire or the 2" roofing nail that I didn't see...:-}.

    I can't blame the tire on that one.

    :p

  7. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have seen some Comets before and they look like a good tire. However, a number of other bent
    > riders say the tire is flat prone. Have they made
    some
    > improvements??

    Mine now have over 2,000 miles on them

  8. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Have Primo Comets been improved?

    I'm not sure. My Burley Canto came with the first set I've ever used. But I can tell you this: I have more than 1000 miles on them and just got back from a 200 mile+ tour of eastern Wisconsin. About half the miles were on roads and half were on crushed shell bike trails. I am shocked that I haven't had a flat thus far.

    FWIW, I NEVER ride without checking the pressure and topping them off if necessary.

    Also, FWIW, they do seem a little sluggish.

    Ben

  9. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    I appreciate the answers. FWIW I had severa; bent riders and one shop owner say they THINK there are
    issues with Comets. That is different than there are problems with the Comets.

    One rider I talked to who rides a fairly consistent route, switch from Comets to (pardon the
    spelling) Schauwlbe. He claims to go from from occassional flats to none.

  10. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have seen some Comets before and they look like a good tire. However, a number of other bent
    > riders say the tire is flat prone. Have they made some improvements??
    I've only had one flat in the three or four Comets I've gone through on my V-Rex, after flatting
    several times on the OEM IRC. That one flat was on a brand new tire, in the rain, a puncture that
    left a nasty-looking gash but did not seem to affect the useful life of the tire - I put something
    like 3500 miles on it afterward. I ride relatively clean roads. Lots of chip seal, but not a lot of
    cager debris.

  11. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I think it's a combination of luck, riding conditions, and where on the road you're riding.
    >
    > For what is worth I think your right! It does not seem to matter what tires I run I don't get
    > many flats.

    I'm one of those people who had bad luck with the Comets. I had two suffer fatal glass cuts within
    three months. On the same roads, same riding habits, the replacement Schwalbe City Marathons
    occasionally flatted, but didn't show the same damage from glass cuts.

    I wonder if the early Comets had a harder rubber compound- it looked as if the tire simply split
    once the cut started. The Marathons would absorb the glass chunks (which had to be pried out), but
    the tread rubber did not rip apart.

    Jeff

  12. Azqaz

    Azqaz Guest

    "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have seen some Comets before and they look like a good tire. However, a number of other bent
    > riders say the tire is flat prone. Have they made some improvements??

    Well, I lovingly refer to mine as "glass magnets". I had 4 flats in about 6 months, but I ride on
    some back roads that are fairly covered with broken beer bottles. I switched to Kenda Kwests about 2
    weeks ago out of frustration, and I will have to see how well they hold up.

    Bryan

  13. I don't know what to say. Al who I ride with runs the same tires I do over the same roads. He gets
    flats I don't? His tires are covered with glass cuts, mine are not? Our mileage is near the same.
    However, He is a ridge runner. We are blessed with wide sholders on most main 2 lane roads. He is
    always on my right when we ride on the wide sholder and rides the ridge where all the glass ends up,
    regardless of the traffic conditions. When I ride with a group I seem to see hazards long before
    they do? I'm I just more observant?

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I think it's a combination of luck, riding conditions, and where on the road you're riding.
    > >
    > > For what is worth I think your right! It does not seem to matter what
    tires
    > > I run I don't get many flats.
    >
    > I'm one of those people who had bad luck with the Comets. I had two suffer fatal glass cuts within
    > three months. On the same roads, same riding habits, the replacement Schwalbe City Marathons
    > occasionally flatted, but didn't show the same damage from glass cuts.
    >
    > I wonder if the early Comets had a harder rubber compound- it looked as if the tire simply split
    > once the cut started. The Marathons would absorb the glass chunks (which had to be pried out), but
    > the tread rubber did not rip apart.
    >
    > Jeff

  14. I have a flat every 100miles or so in average, front or back, comet, roadlite, whatever
    (allways slicks).

    I guess it correlates strictly to the glass beerbottles still used around here. I guess im a can-man
    after all.

    Torben