Tires - Replace GP 3000 - Advice Needed - Canada

vvanherk

Mar 28, 2010
Hey All.

Just getting back into cycling after a bit of a hiatus. Started to put on the miles last year, and I wore out my Continental GP 3000 tires right through to the tube!

Anywho, they've been on the bike since I bought it 11 years ago, so they did a pretty good job :)

So, I need to replace them, and would appreciate any input. Frankly, I enjoyed the Conti's, and they lasted quite a while, so I would be inclined to just buy whatever the equivalent would be now (GP 4000 I'm assuming....).

Also, any good online retailers for Canada? Prices and stock at my LBSs where not that impressive.....

I'm on a Trek 5500 with Rolf Vector Pro rims. Current tire size is 700x25 which I like. I do not race, and just go out for pleasure. Roads out here are decent enough, but I do have to go on 2Km of gravel to get out to the pavement.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

4000's are great "race" tires, but maybe not needed, or best for your application with the gravel, and they aren't cheap. You might try Conti Gatorskins or a training tire like Michelin Krylion.

I've been buying tires online from Probikekit.com, a UK company:
good selection and low prices. They ship free to the US, don't know if that applies to Canada too, but you might want to check them out.

The 4000 is the current equivalent of the 3000. They should do much the same job but, like dhk2, I plump for the Gatorskins. They're cheaper and last longer - the best value (km per $ spent) I've ridden.

dhk2 said:
4000's are great "race" tires, but maybe not needed, or best for your application with the gravel, and they aren't cheap. You might try Conti Gatorskins or a training tire like Michelin Krylion.

I've been buying tires online from Probikekit.com, a UK company:
good selection and low prices. They ship free to the US, don't know if that applies to Canada too, but you might want to check them out.
Thanks for the info.

I'll look into those GatorSkins. The GP 4-Season looks pretty good too.

I went to Probikekit.com. Nice site. Good prices, and they advertise free shipping to Canada as well. Wow. How do they do it??

How long for your shipments to come in? How is the service from them?

Thanks again.

There are never any true guarantees with on-line shops since they have no shopfront you can go to if there is a big problem. That said, I've not had a problem with an on-line bike shop that can't be fixed via email (pro-bike-kit included).

International orders for most places take around a week. Depends on which time of the week you order, becasue they and the courier companies they use are unlikely to function on weekends. Good things come to those who wait...

I've had great service from PBK so far, with shipping taking about a week via Royal post from the UK.....quicker than Performance :) Based on my experience, believe you can trust them to deliver as advertized.

Thanks for the info all.

I'll give PBK a try. I'll send them a question or so first and see what kind of response I get.