Tires, Tires, Need help!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rick, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick

Rick Guest

I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like something
    durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed limestone paths. Maybe
    I should have two sets of tires rather than try to do everything on the same set of tires. Need all
    the help I can get. I am very new to recumbency. Thanks

Tags:

2. Cletus Lee

Cletus Lee Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
    > something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed limestone
    > paths. Maybe I should have two sets of tires rather than try to do everything on the same set of
    > tires. Need all the help I can get. I am very new to recumbency. Thanks

I have found that Vredeateins S-Licks to be a good general purpose tire. Very durable and wide
    enough to take an occasional off pavement spin. As for being fast, I find them very comparable to
    Conti GP, or Schwalbe Stelvios.

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

3. Mike S

Mike S Guest

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >
    > I have found that Vredeateins S-Licks to be a good general purpose tire. Very durable and wide
    > enough to take an occasional off pavement spin. As for being fast, I find them very comparable to
    > Conti GP, or Schwalbe Stelvios.

I concur with Cletus on this one. On my V-Rex I rode Conti Grand Prixs and on my current Barcroft
    Virginia I have Stelvios. Both are excellent fast tires for roads but don't do well when there is
    gravel, sand or even dirt to go through. We Had Vredestein S-Licks on our tandem and found them
    to be a responsive, surefooted, and relatively fast all around tire, with a wider stance which
    made them more adaptable (not perfect) for hazardous conditions. I don't think they are as fast
    as the Stelvios or GPs, but they perform well. Only one drawback, when we got a flat we found
    them tough to take off the rim. But, since we went about 1000 miles before a flat, we could live
    with that problem.

4. "mike s" skrev...
    > > I have found that Vredeateins S-Licks to be a good general purpose tire. Very durable and wide
    > > enough to take an occasional off pavement spin. As for being fast, I find them very comparable
    > > to Conti GP, or Schwalbe Stelvios.
    >
    >
    > I concur with Cletus on this one. On my V-Rex I rode Conti Grand Prixs and on my current Barcroft
    > Virginia I have Stelvios. Both are excellent fast tires for roads but don't do well when there is
    > gravel, sand or even dirt to go through. We Had Vredestein S-Licks on our tandem and found them to
    > be a responsive, surefooted, and relatively fast all around tire, with a wider stance which made
    > them more adaptable (not perfect) for hazardous conditions.

Amen to the above. They are not perfect for gravel and I would avoid mud and snow/ice as it gets a
    bit spooky when your rearwheel starts sliding out under you (TE-clone).

Mikael

5. Bob

Bob Guest

I got rid of the comets on my vrex over a year ago and use 1.50 front & back, I have had very good
    luck with the Schwalbe Maraton with the kevlar belt. My riding is just like you described.

Bob

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
    > something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed limestone
    > paths. Maybe I should have two sets of tires rather than try to do everything on the same set of

6. Paul Minnis

Paul Minnis Guest

I have S-licks on my Stratus and Marathons on the back of my bikeE and Raleigh Twenty folder (both
    front and rear). Both the S-Lick and Marathon are great tires. They are very durable with no road
    cuts or production imperfections. It looks like I'll get about 3000-3500 on the Stratus' back tire,
    but it is too soon to tell about the Marathons. The only flat, on the back of the Status, was due to
    a spoke puncture. I can't say which is faster, if either. Happy (and warm riding. paul

[email protected] (Rick) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

7. Hello All,

I'm with Derek thousands of miles and everyone else with flats makes me loyal to the Schwalbe
    Marathons.

---
    Thank you very much,

Father Time

"Derek Swift" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : > I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
    : > something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed
    : > limestone paths.
    :
    : My vote is for Schwalbe Marathons. They are tough and fast. MUCH better than Primo Coemts.
    :
    : Derek

8. Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
    > > something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed
    > > limestone paths.
    >
    > My vote is for Schwalbe Marathons. They are tough and fast. MUCH better than Primo Coemts.
    >
    > Derek

Caveat Emptor! I had no problem with Primo Comets other than many miles of wear. My post about
    questionable tires going KABLEWIE in one month was a Schwalbie Marathon I replaced the Comets with.
    I grabbed the Primo Comet wadded up in a trash can and put it back on. No KABLEWIE, so it stays. I
    am currently getting rid of those Schwalbies.

Excellent customer service too (ho ho- ha ha). In my opinion; not worth $1.00, I believe. Schwalbie-
    THUMBS DOWN!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

9. Don

Don Guest

Chris,

I had to ask my 14 year old son what KABLEWIE means (cable-why?) and he laughed as he said that's
    ka-blew-ee!!

I've had pretty good luck with Schwalbe Stelvios on my Tour Easy, so I am surprised you had so much
    trouble with Schwalbe Marathons, although I have no experience with Marathons. I do appreciate
    Comets, however, and thought that when I replaced the Comets on my EZ-1 with Tioga Comp Pools that
    it felt as though the brakes were dragging.

We'll have to meet one of these days.

Don Santa Cruz

[email protected] (Christopher Jordan) wrote in message
    > Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
    > > > something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed
    > > > limestone paths.
    > >
    > > My vote is for Schwalbe Marathons. They are tough and fast. MUCH better than Primo Coemts.
    > >
    > > Derek
    >
    > Caveat Emptor! I had no problem with Primo Comets other than many miles of wear. My post about
    > questionable tires going KABLEWIE in one month was a Schwalbie Marathon I replaced the Comets
    > with. I grabbed the Primo Comet wadded up in a trash can and put it back on. No KABLEWIE, so it
    > stays. I am currently getting rid of those Schwalbies.
    >
    > Excellent customer service too (ho ho- ha ha). In my opinion; not worth $1.00, I believe.
    > Schwalbie- THUMBS DOWN!
    >
    > Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.