Tires, Tires, Need help!

Rick

Guest
I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like something
durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed limestone paths. Maybe
I should have two sets of tires rather than try to do everything on the same set of tires. Need all
the help I can get. I am very new to recumbency. Thanks

> I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
> something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed limestone
> paths. Maybe I should have two sets of tires rather than try to do everything on the same set of
> tires. Need all the help I can get. I am very new to recumbency. Thanks

I have found that Vredeateins S-Licks to be a good general purpose tire. Very durable and wide
enough to take an occasional off pavement spin. As for being fast, I find them very comparable to
Conti GP, or Schwalbe Stelvios.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I have found that Vredeateins S-Licks to be a good general purpose tire. Very durable and wide
> enough to take an occasional off pavement spin. As for being fast, I find them very comparable to
> Conti GP, or Schwalbe Stelvios.

I concur with Cletus on this one. On my V-Rex I rode Conti Grand Prixs and on my current Barcroft
Virginia I have Stelvios. Both are excellent fast tires for roads but don't do well when there is
gravel, sand or even dirt to go through. We Had Vredestein S-Licks on our tandem and found them
to be a responsive, surefooted, and relatively fast all around tire, with a wider stance which
made them more adaptable (not perfect) for hazardous conditions. I don't think they are as fast
as the Stelvios or GPs, but they perform well. Only one drawback, when we got a flat we found
them tough to take off the rim. But, since we went about 1000 miles before a flat, we could live
with that problem.

"mike s" skrev...
> > I have found that Vredeateins S-Licks to be a good general purpose tire. Very durable and wide
> > enough to take an occasional off pavement spin. As for being fast, I find them very comparable
> > to Conti GP, or Schwalbe Stelvios.
>

> I concur with Cletus on this one. On my V-Rex I rode Conti Grand Prixs and on my current Barcroft
> Virginia I have Stelvios. Both are excellent fast tires for roads but don't do well when there is
> gravel, sand or even dirt to go through. We Had Vredestein S-Licks on our tandem and found them to
> be a responsive, surefooted, and relatively fast all around tire, with a wider stance which made
> them more adaptable (not perfect) for hazardous conditions.

Amen to the above. They are not perfect for gravel and I would avoid mud and snow/ice as it gets a
bit spooky when your rearwheel starts sliding out under you (TE-clone).

Mikael

I got rid of the comets on my vrex over a year ago and use 1.50 front & back, I have had very good
luck with the Schwalbe Maraton with the kevlar belt. My riding is just like you described.

Bob

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
> something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed limestone
> paths. Maybe I should have two sets of tires rather than try to do everything on the same set of
> tires. Need all the help I can get. I am very new to recumbency. Thanks

I have S-licks on my Stratus and Marathons on the back of my bikeE and Raleigh Twenty folder (both
front and rear). Both the S-Lick and Marathon are great tires. They are very durable with no road
cuts or production imperfections. It looks like I'll get about 3000-3500 on the Stratus' back tire,
but it is too soon to tell about the Marathons. The only flat, on the back of the Status, was due to
a spoke puncture. I can't say which is faster, if either. Happy (and warm riding. paul

[email protected] (Rick) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
> something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed limestone
> paths. Maybe I should have two sets of tires rather than try to do everything on the same set of
> tires. Need all the help I can get. I am very new to recumbency. Thanks

Hello All,

I'm with Derek thousands of miles and everyone else with flats makes me loyal to the Schwalbe
Marathons.

---
Thank you very much,

Father Time

"Derek Swift" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: > I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
: > something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed
: > limestone paths.
:
: My vote is for Schwalbe Marathons. They are tough and fast. MUCH better than Primo Coemts.
:
: Derek

Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I ride a Rans V-rex. What tires would you recommend. I have comets on now, but would like
> > something durable, fairly comfy, fairly fast on the road, and occasional use on crushed
> > limestone paths.
>
> My vote is for Schwalbe Marathons. They are tough and fast. MUCH better than Primo Coemts.
>
> Derek

Caveat Emptor! I had no problem with Primo Comets other than many miles of wear. My post about
questionable tires going KABLEWIE in one month was a Schwalbie Marathon I replaced the Comets with.
I grabbed the Primo Comet wadded up in a trash can and put it back on. No KABLEWIE, so it stays. I
am currently getting rid of those Schwalbies.

Excellent customer service too (ho ho- ha ha). In my opinion; not worth $1.00, I believe. Schwalbie-
THUMBS DOWN!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

Chris,

I had to ask my 14 year old son what KABLEWIE means (cable-why?) and he laughed as he said that's
ka-blew-ee!!

I've had pretty good luck with Schwalbe Stelvios on my Tour Easy, so I am surprised you had so much
trouble with Schwalbe Marathons, although I have no experience with Marathons. I do appreciate
Comets, however, and thought that when I replaced the Comets on my EZ-1 with Tioga Comp Pools that
it felt as though the brakes were dragging.

We'll have to meet one of these days.

Don Santa Cruz

news:<[email protected]>...