Tires: when to change them, what kind to choose.



brianberg

New Member
Jul 3, 2007
3
0
0
35
Another newbie with another question. I have had same tires on my bike for about 3 years now. Just recently, I have been experiencing flats in my tires. I repaired the tubes and checked the tires for damage, but I couldn't find anything. I always check my psi and put air when necessary. If the tires are 'dunzo,' what would you guys and girls suggest for new tires? It's a road bike (a jamis satellite to be exact) and I'm just curious. Thanks for the input.
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
Is your tyre worn? If not, then the cause of the flats could be embedded metal/glass. suggest that you deflate the tyre and examine all the cuts and see if there's any foreign bodies embedded in them. Also look at the inner surfaces of the tyres to see if there's something protruding. The other issue to check would be rubber that have started to degrade. If so, then that's another reason to consider changing the tyre/tube.
 

Sikhandar

New Member
Jul 5, 2007
199
0
0
41
sogood said:
Is your tyre worn? If not, then the cause of the flats could be embedded metal/glass. suggest that you deflate the tyre and examine all the cuts and see if there's any foreign bodies embedded in them. Also look at the inner surfaces of the tyres to see if there's something protruding. The other issue to check would be rubber that have started to degrade. If so, then that's another reason to consider changing the tyre/tube.
Quote. Moreover: do not repair tubes, it's useless, time-wasting and dangerous, a new tube costs 3 euros........Take always with you a new one!

And...3 years is too much for a pair of clinchers, indipendently from the use that you make of them! Rubber reticulate with oxygen and become brittle and it's dangerous on descents! Change them once per year, or if your posterior rubber becomes "squared".

To buy new tires go to your shop :D here in Italy the most used are Continental GP 4000 or attack/force, or Schwalbe Ultremo o Stelvio, or Michelin Pro Race2 Service Course (very used), or...buh these are the most common and performant (and expensive)!
 

Lonnie Utah

Banned
Aug 21, 2004
980
1
18
Are you starting to see threads on your old tires? That's when it's time to change them. If not, then your getting pinch flats or you've got something ebedded in the rubber that you haven't found yet.

good luck,
L
 

capwater

New Member
Sep 15, 2003
1,574
1
0
Look at your tire, when fully inflated, head on. Do you see a flat spot? if so, new tire time. Also, if you are only replacing 1 tire, make sure you put that one on the front as it is crucial to proper handling.
 

John M

New Member
Jun 21, 2005
1,404
0
0
capwater said:
Look at your tire, when fully inflated, head on. Do you see a flat spot? if so, new tire time. Also, if you are only replacing 1 tire, make sure you put that one on the front as it is crucial to proper handling.

I think that just getting a flattened profile is a bit premature-especially for training or commuting. Now, I admit to being a cheapie and using tires until I see threads. For racing, I use newer ones.
 

dhk2

Active Member
Aug 8, 2006
2,214
37
48
74
John M said:
I think that just getting a flattened profile is a bit premature-especially for training or commuting. Now, I admit to being a cheapie and using tires until I see threads. For racing, I use newer ones.
Hey, good to hear from another cheapskate. I wear my rear Conti GP down till I just see threads also. Just don't be the guy who showed up for our 57 mile 4th of July ride. He pulled into the parking lot right at the start time, then inflated his tires while we watched. He got about 1/4 mile before the rear went flat. Seems the casing was showing through the center of the tire for about 4 inches, along with just a bit of inner tube where the casing split through. He said the tire looked OK the last time he checked it...."didn't know tires could wear that quickly" :)

The good news was he only had to walk his bike back 1/4 mile to his car. He might even learn to check and inflate his tires before leaving home from this incident.
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
dhk2 said:
...He said the tire looked OK the last time he checked it...."didn't know tires could wear that quickly" :)
It's always a good practice to wipe the bike down after every ride, including the tyres. Good time to check for wear status as well as to pick out any embedded glass.