Tires

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Charles, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Charles

    Charles Guest

    OK, it's been way too long since I've been an active biker. But I'm used
    to always having skinny little tires, as I used to ride a Schwinn Suburban
    (1979 mfg.) and before that a Schwinn Racer (1967 mfg.) Why the big fat
    tires on all the new bikes?

    I'm working on a project for this next spring so I can ride to work (3 miles
    or so)

    Charles of Schaumburg

    Tags:

  2. ???

    What bicycles are you referring to?

    If you are thinking about bikes in WalMart or similar, mostly true,
    though Wal Mart now has a "road bike."

    Check the bikes in your local bicycle shop (LBS). You will find that
    bikes have a great variety of tires.

    The "road bike" generally has tires from around 700x19 up to about
    700x32, depending on the bike - very "skinny." Touring bikes are
    generally in the larger category of skinny tires.

    Hybrid bikes will go from about 700x32 and larger - sort of medium
    skinny.

    Mtn bikes will be measured differently, with a 26" wheel, and will
    indeed be "fat."

    Same with "comfort" bikes.

    Here is a link with a variety of tires. Go there and check out the
    sizes

    http://www.nashbar.com/subcategories.cfm?category=121

    Here is a link to a variety of bicycles. Go there and check the
    different types out, with the different types of tires.

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/category_bicycles.cfm

  3. POHB

    POHB Guest

    It's a macho thing, like the big fat SUVs with big fat tyres driven by big
    fat guys with big fat guns.

    "Charles" wrote in message
    > Why the big fat tires on all the new bikes?

  4. di

    di Guest

    "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It's a macho thing, like the big fat SUVs with big fat tyres driven by big
    > fat guys with big fat guns.
    >
    > "Charles" wrote in message
    >> Why the big fat tires on all the new bikes?

    stupidity at it's best

  5. POHB

    POHB Guest

    Who, me or the folks pushing all that knobbly rubber along the tarmac?

    "di" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> It's a macho thing, like the big fat SUVs with big fat tyres driven by
    >> big fat guys with big fat guns.
    >>
    >> "Charles" wrote in message
    >>> Why the big fat tires on all the new bikes?

    > stupidity at it's best

  6. mark

    mark Guest

    "Charles" wrote ...
    > OK, it's been way too long since I've been an active biker. But I'm used
    > to always having skinny little tires, as I used to ride a Schwinn Suburban
    > (1979 mfg.) and before that a Schwinn Racer (1967 mfg.) Why the big fat
    > tires on all the new bikes?
    >
    > I'm working on a project for this next spring so I can ride to work (3
    > miles or so)
    >
    > Charles of Schaumburg

    I like the skinny tires on my road bike (700x23), but big fat tires have
    their uses, too, especially for commuting and touring. Commuting and touring
    on 26 x 1.5 or 26 x 1.75 tires means I don't have to inflate the tires as
    often, and I don't have to worry about pinch flats, especially if I'm
    hauling a load of groceries home.
    --
    mark

  7. di

    di Guest

    "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Who, me or the folks pushing all that knobbly rubber along the tarmac?
    >
    > "di" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> It's a macho thing, like the big fat SUVs with big fat tyres driven by
    >>> big fat guys with big fat guns.

    >> stupidity at it's best

    You!

  8. POHB

    POHB Guest

    "di" wrote

    > "POHB" wrote
    >
    >> Who, me or the folks pushing all that knobbly rubber along the tarmac?
    >>
    >> "di" wrote
    >>

    >>> "POHB" wrote

    >>> stupidity at it's best
    >>>

    > You!

    Thanks for those kind words.

    I just think that the reason for so many fat-tyre bikes being on sale,
    especially in places like WalMart, is a style thing.
    Sure a few of those full-suspension machines will be ridden down a
    mountainside just like a few 4x4s will be used off road, but many are bought
    in preference to more appropriate vehicles because the buyers want to
    project a rough tough outdoor lifestyle image. Of course the shops cater to
    this because they stock what will sell best.