Tires

doctorold

Dec 14, 2010
North Carolina
Ok you longtime cycling forum members. Give me your input: I'm looking for tires for my gravel grinder. I have been running Conti Four Seasons for years on this bike mainly because I ride mostly on paved roads. But now I have some unpaved surfaces to ride and I'd like to get a tire with a little more tread but not significantly heavier and still very flat resistant. Thoughts? (I want to run between 700x28 to 700x32)

your information you provided is a bit thin, but I fire off a guess. WTB makes a fairly tough gravel grinder for under $30 called the All Terrain, and it comes in a 32 size which is the largest you can use and for the circumstances you described you need the widest tire you can get. WTB also makes a better tire that cost about $25 more than the All Terrain called the Cross Boss. There is also the Panaracer GravelKing SK which also comes in a 32 that will cost you about $46. Also Panaracer makes a tire called the Ruffy Tuffy, but I think that tire is a bit narrow for idea traction on gravel but it is an option, it is also an almost smooth tire which I don't think would be real good on gravel. Another possibility is the Panaracer T-Serv Protex which cost about $48.

The smoother threaded tires can get greasy when things get wet, so understand that.

Anyway research those tires I mentioned and see which one fits your needs the best.

Thanks. I have scoped out the gravel King. It's on my list. Considering Schwalbe G-one series too. Think I'm going to convert to tubeless since my wheels are compatible. Really digging it on my roadie.

Challenge makes a good tubeless tire called the Gravel Grinder but it is a 33 which might fit. Also don't overlook Maxxis Re-Fuse, it's a very good high quality tire.

I liked the Maxxis but ended up with the Schwalbe G-One Speed. Converted to tubeless and I'm really happy with it. Thanks for the input!