Tirreno-Adriatico 2006

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Tirreno-Adriatico starts today : Tivoli-Tivoli 167kms :

Paolo Bettini winning stage 1 from Erik Zabel in second and Hushovd in third place.

Hard to know to go for in terms of overall GC.

Freire, last years winner, has been injured for several months so I won't be going for him.
Hincapie could be a contender.
Petacchi/Zabel combo might have a say.
Kloden could be a dark horse.

I think Bettini can win Tirreno - Adriatico (course suits him well), but that TT could give him some trouble.
Nice to see Milram - Quick Step showdown heating up...

The GC will be decided on stages 5 and 6, TT then a hard uphill finish.

An oppurtunist like Bettini could be in for a few stage wins: Tomorrow there is a climb that summits 6.7 K from the finish, a nice hard attack there should shell the sprinters. Next day there is another slightly uphill finish that isn't really suited to pure sprinters, a late attack could work there too. Stage after that has a flat finish but the second half is pretty hilly, I wouldn't bet on Zabel McEwen or Petacchi winning that many stages myself.

Bettini also appears to be in fine form. ;)

Funny how not a lot of people are talking about him, especially with the string of wins that Boonen and Ale-Jet are putting together. We all seem to forget that Bettini finished up the year with a strong World's (ok, screwed up tactically, but a very strong ride) along with wins in Zurich and in the Lombardia. And he would very much like to do well in the San Remo and win a second one...

We will have to see where he is on the last Cipressa/Poggio and what kind of trouble he feels like causing... :):cool:

Powerful Pete said:
Bettini also appears to be in fine form. ;)

Funny how not a lot of people are talking about him, especially with the string of wins that Boonen and Ale-Jet are putting together. We all seem to forget that Bettini finished up the year with a strong World's (ok, screwed up tactically, but a very strong ride) along with wins in Zurich and in the Lombardia. And he would very much like to do well in the San Remo and win a second one...

We will have to see where he is on the last Cipressa/Poggio and what kind of trouble he feels like causing... :):cool:

I agree with you Bettini is in fine form, and also that he will obviously have to play his cards on Cipressa/ Poggio. He has said himself in fact that if there is a group at via Roma then all of Quick Step will be for Boonen. I don't think that Bettini will be pushing for the overall win at T. A..
I see Hincapie and Levi with possibilities. Vicioso, Guttierez have good early season form. Jaksche is dangerous. Among the Italians Garzelli, Sella, and Pellizotti are set to give all for this race. I pick Garzelli to win, he appears very motivated.

I just watched the EuroSport2 coverage from yesterday (yes folks in Europe you get two channels of cycling) and none other than Filippo Simeoni was in the break during the stage.... he gained with two others about 2 minutes on the bunch before being reeled back in...... didn't see any strange American blokes with veins popping out of there head trying to chase him down thou... :)

whiteboytrash said:
I just watched the EuroSport2 coverage from yesterday (yes folks in Europe you get two channels of cycling) and none other than Filippo Simeoni was in the break during the stage.... he gained with two others about 2 minutes on the bunch before being reeled back in...... didn't see any strange American blokes with veins popping out of there head trying to chase him down thou... :)

I'm crying with laughter here, WBT.
Very very funny.

I didn't know Simeoni was racing at Adriatico,

limerickman said:
I'm crying with laughter here, WBT.
Very very funny.

I didn't know Simeoni was racing at Adriatico,
Glad to bring some joy ! :)

I was surprised as well... he was racing for some Italian team with non-ProTour status or something.... his career was ruined 2 years ago.... by his own admission he will never ride the Pro-Tour again…. no team wants the baggage.... unfortunate...

whiteboytrash said:
LOL. That was excellent.

whiteboytrash said:
...... didn't see any strange American blokes with veins popping out of there head trying to chase him down thou... :)
BTW ... good riddance, I say... :p

whiteboytrash said:
Glad to bring some joy ! :)

I was surprised as well... he was racing for some Italian team with non-ProTour status or something.... his career was ruined 2 years ago.... by his own admission he will never ride the Pro-Tour again…. no team wants the baggage.... unfortunate...
Simeoni rides for Naturino - Sapore Di Mare (since the 2005 season). I know that Gilberto Simoni tried to give him a contract with Saunier Duval, BUT they (Saunier Duval) where scared for "complications".

Kloden lost 9 minutes on stage one of TA...... not such a good start to the season on a flat stage ! :mad: