Tirreno-Adriatico

Drongo

Nov 28, 2007
Stage 3 finished after a nasty, nasty climb.

CN report here. The photos are something else. Narrow and steep. It seems that most of the field had to walk/jog/shoulder their bikes, motos fell over, bedlam.

This link (shamelessly pilfered from dpf) shows Rodriguez' attack and victory, but it also shows how steep the finish was, so it's worth a look. Rodriguez says he's targetting Flèche and LBL: he can certainly get up a hill, so it bodes well for him.

GC after Stage 3:
1 Niklas Axelsson (Swe) Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli 13.56.14
2 Enrico Gasparotto (Ita) Barloworld 0.10
3 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0.18
4 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team High Road 0.24
5 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) LPR Brakes 0.32
6 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe) Team High Road 0.40
7 Markus Fothen (Ger) Gerolsteiner 0.50
8 Emanuele Sella (Ita) CSF Group Navigare 0.54
9 Tadej Valjavec (Slo) AG2r - La Mondiale
10 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team CSC

Agreed Drongo - that final climb on yesterdays stage (3) was very tough.

Looking at Boonen and Bettini literally crawl up that final climb - put in to context how tough it was.
And the police motor bikes toppling over didn't help matters.

I was really impressed with Axxelson's riding - for a big man he climbed well.

Looking forward to stage 1.

Spoilt here - Paris Nice and Tirenno both live on television.

Couldn't be happier!

Bro Deal said:
That's too bad for him. Broken femur. Ouch! He would have come close to Cancellara's ITT time, which means we might have expected a great TdF from him.
He can be back training by the start of May. Is that too late? Yeah...I guess it's too late.

Crankyfeet said:
He can be back training by the start of May. Is that too late? Yeah...I guess it's too late.
no, he can make it.

be interested to test him regularly over the healing period. Testo and HGH expected :D

depends how his leg muscle(s) atrophies.

thunder said:
no, he can make it.

be interested to test him regularly over the healing period. Testo and HGH expected :D

depends how his leg muscle(s) atrophies.
His leg is probably going to look like his arm when they take the cast off... unless they can use pins and have him exercising earlier.

Maybe there's some wonder drug that reduces atrophying such as testosterone... like you said... :rolleyes:

This guy looks in a bit of pain in his run up to a long jump... :eek:

race.jpg

Crankyfeet said:
His leg is probably going to look like his arm when they take the cast off... unless they can use pins and have him exercising earlier.

Maybe there's some wonder drug that reduces atrophying such as testosterone... like you said... :rolleyes:

This guy looks in a bit of pain in his run up to a long jump... :eek:

race.jpg
but those guys are in such a state of atrophy in peak fitness, he will probably put weight on.

However, what is important is the functional muscle atrophy.

thunder said:
but those guys are in such a state of atrophy in peak fitness, he will probably put weight on.

However, what is important is the functional muscle atrophy.
Don't they have those electronic interferential machines that can cause your muscles to contract with electic charges? I've seen them in telemarketing ads on how to flatten your abs while you watch the TV... :rolleyes: (so that means it probably doesn't work or everyone would have one). We used to use them for physio treatment when I was playing sport seriously about 10 years ago.

Crankyfeet said:
Don't they have those electronic interferential machines that can cause your muscles to contract with electic charges? I've seen them in telemarketing ads on how to flatten your abs while you watch the TV... :rolleyes: (so that means it probably doesn't work or everyone would have one). We used to use them for physio treatment when I was playing sport seriously about 10 years ago.
They work as well as the ob/gyn technician whatever microwave thingy as an insertion *****. Like one ob-gyn got done for rape for doing one of those ultrasounds, via an internal search.

The TA route was fairly boring this year, PN was much more adventurous in it's choice of stages and was way more interesting.....

Lovely stage win by Oscar Freire yesterday (Monday) : outsprinted Di Luca, Pozzato, Cancellara.

The man's positioning in the final sprint is awesome.
He makes his move at the exact time.

Eldrack said:
The TA route was fairly boring this year, PN was much more adventurous in it's choice of stages and was way more interesting.....

Huh ? You obvisoulsy not been watching ! They put a hill in on stage 3 that the peleton had to walk up and the police motorcycles stalled !

I broke my femur in a bicycle accident a few years back.

No weight on the leg for 6 weeks - then I was allowed to use two canes. I had a chicken leg by that time - the little muscle I had atrophied to nothing. Took me quite awhile to regain enough muscle to even walk normally.

That guy will be out for months.