'Tis just a scratch?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jon Bond, Jun 4, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the alignment
    (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple mm) to the nearby weld makes me just a bit leery of it.

    Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):

    http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
    http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395

    If you want a major closeup, go to "original" size - 1600x1200.

    I can try to get more photos if these are inconclusive too. I'm pretty sure its just paint, but
    better safe than sorry. And yes, it is a pretty crappy weld ;)

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the alignment
    > (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple
    mm)
    > to the nearby weld makes me just a bit leery of it.
    >
    > Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/17463392 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463393
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/17463394 http://www.pbase.com/image/17463395
    >
    > If you want a major closeup, go to "original" size - 1600x1200.
    >
    > I can try to get more photos if these are inconclusive too. I'm pretty
    sure
    > its just paint, but better safe than sorry. And yes, it is a pretty
    crappy
    > weld ;)
    >
    > Jon Bond

    BTW, first picture is with a flash, the rest are not. I think the flash combined with the sparkly
    paint makes it look different than it does in person with sunlight or ambient light.

    Jon Bond

  3. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Jon Bond writes:

    > Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the
    > alignment (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple mm) to the nearby weld makes me just a
    > bit leery of it.

    > Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):

    That the feature is so clean is distracting. A crack, especially in aluminum usually produces grey
    aluminum oxide making the crack dark. This thing, even if cracked, is not going to fall apart in
    the next 100 km so I would wet the "crack" with soapy water (soap is a wetting agent) ride it over
    some rough terrain. If the line does not become distinct and darker, it isn't a crack. On the other
    hand, the dimpling and crummy weld don't give me any confidence. It seems they hoped the crimp
    would hold the dropout but just in case they ran a weld across the end of the tube. Then paint made
    everything OK.

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5wzDa.210$%[email protected]...
    > Jon Bond writes:
    >
    > > Found an interesting little paint scratch on my bike. Probably just a scratch, but the
    > > alignment (parallel to) and proximity (within a couple mm) to the nearby weld makes me just a
    > > bit leery of it.
    >
    > > Left chainstay/dropout weld on my Fisher Kaitai (aluminum):
    >
    > That the feature is so clean is distracting. A crack, especially in aluminum usually produces grey
    > aluminum oxide making the crack dark. This thing, even if cracked, is not going to fall apart in
    > the next 100 km so I would wet the "crack" with soapy water (soap is a wetting agent) ride it over
    > some rough terrain. If the line does not become distinct and darker, it isn't a crack. On the
    > other hand, the dimpling and crummy weld don't give me any confidence. It seems they hoped the
    > crimp would hold the dropout but just in case they ran a weld across the end of the tube. Then
    > paint made everything OK.

    What do you expect for a $700 bike? (outfitted with another 1000 or so in new components... heh!)
    The rest of the welds aren't too bad, but that one is particularly ugly.

    Most of the cleaning was just me wiping it off with my fingers. Unfortunately, there isn't any rough
    terrain around here right now that isn't covered in mud, so the likelyhood that I'll be able to ride
    it without it getting covered over in mud, and then cleaned to see it, is pretty slim. Glad I've got
    the new bike being built up, and the road bike just in case ;)

    I did ride it once (yesterday), but I'm not sure if it got any bigger or not. I think it might have
    grown very slightly, but I forgot to take pictures, so I really don't know. Either way, if the
    frame cracks there, its not going to be a horrific fall - I might have a nice little walkout, but
    nothing too bad.

    I'll ride it a bit more and take some pictures after for comparison.

    BTW, should I ride it right after the soapy water, or does it not matter?

    Jon Bond

  5. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Jon Bond writes:

    > I'll ride it a bit more and take some pictures after for comparison.

    > BTW, should I ride it right after the soapy water, or does it not matter?

    My idea was to generate a natural crack detection fluid, which water in an aluminum crack would
    be. Of course you should ride it right away, it isn't supposed to dry out first or it would have
    no effect.

    There are specific crack enhancing fluids that penetrate well but do not dry. These are oil based
    dyes and are usually painted on, then wiped as clean as possible before a chalky quick drying paint
    is sprayed on. The dye in the crack will wick into the white coating making dyed cracks highly
    visible. Some are enhanced under ultraviolet light.

    http://www.magnaflux.com/spotcheck.stm