'Tis True

pat5319

Jan 9, 2002
I know a guy who took 10th in the Colorado District Championships, he'd have done better but for puking from some bad food

"Won" a double century in 9 or 10 hrs- he got tired of riding alone and took a nap until the 2nd place rider,( a cat 2 racer), caught up to him
Did a hilly 180 mile ride and then did a club ride as if he were fresh

Did the tour of Swan River in Montana more than once,(231 miles in 2 days) He had a bell mounted on his h-bars and would ring it as he passed or just to say "Hi". A tandem rider who he'd passed several times was overheard to say. "If he rings that damned bell one more timeI'm gonna shove id up his a**) good luck finishing that one pal!!

Rode 60-70 miles round trip to go xc skiing apx 4500 ft up a mtn to get to the "track", lots of snow that year and as I recall it was really cold, Yes he ahd studded tires

and more, ad nauseum

All on a Schwminn Spitfire fat-tired cruiser with 52X18 gearing!!

That I sold him!!!!

We used them as "training tools" back in the day, b4 mtn bikes when we were young and ********, < use your own discription here, hee hee)

This is great. There was a british guy recently who won a road race somewhere in Africa while on his touring mtb. A friend of mine also won a criterium on his touring bike in the States with his rack on the back and heavy touring tyres. He got away in the last couple of miles because they didn't dream he would even have been competing on it!
Just goes to show it can still be the rider and not the bike!

jpat said:
This is great. There was a british guy recently who won a road race somewhere in Africa while on his touring mtb. A friend of mine also won a criterium on his touring bike in the States with his rack on the back and heavy touring tyres. He got away in the last couple of miles because they didn't dream he would even have been competing on it!
Just goes to show it can still be the rider and not the bike!
90% of us know its the rider. Just read the forum! Most everyone here agrees that it is the engine, not the bike.

kdelong said:
90% of us know its the rider. Just read the forum! Most everyone here agrees that it is the engine, not the bike.

Unless the bike is CF. Then it's the bike and its laterally stiff and vertically compliant nature. Honest.