Titanium anti-seize

llhank

Nov 14, 2003
I'm waiting for a titanium frame into which goes an FSA bottom bracket. They recommend Ti Prep at installation time to prevent the bb threads from sticking. Is this necessary? Or is there something more commonly available that does the job. Thanks, llhank

llhank said:
I'm waiting for a titanium frame into which goes an FSA bottom bracket. They recommend Ti Prep at installation time to prevent the bb threads from sticking. Is this necessary? Or is there something more commonly available that does the job. Thanks, llhank
Grease has always worked for me,but you won't go wrong with Ti prep either.

For the price of a Ti frame, a little ti prep seems like a small bit of insurance to avoid a very serious problem. On the other hand, if you are a maintenance maniac and remove every part from your bike every year, then Ti prep is probably overkill. If you plan to leave the BB in place for several years, Ti prep will reduce the odds of it getting stuck.

Generally, Ti prep is critical when joining Ti parts together, like a Ti seatpost in a Ti frame. It's less critical when non-ti metals are joined to Ti, unless the parts will be together for a long time.

mark9636 said:
For the price of a Ti frame, a little ti prep seems like a small bit of insurance to avoid a very serious problem. On the other hand, if you are a maintenance maniac and remove every part from your bike every year, then Ti prep is probably overkill. If you plan to leave the BB in place for several years, Ti prep will reduce the odds of it getting stuck.

Generally, Ti prep is critical when joining Ti parts together, like a Ti seatpost in a Ti frame. It's less critical when non-ti metals are joined to Ti, unless the parts will be together for a long time.

Thank you, Boudreaux & Mark, that's the kind of information I am seeking. My application is for dissimilar metals AND I am buying all the tools necessary to assemble and disassemble the crank and bb as I expect to do so frequently enough. Thanks again. llhank

You can also get anti-sieze grease at an auto parts store. It's usually cheaper than the ti specific stuff and works just as well.

Agree with artmichalek...more generically available anti-seize...technically paste not grease available at an autoparts store is the same stuff and cheaper. The thing to keep in mind when using anti-seize paste is the intrinsic lubricity will give you a false tell on not only fastener torque but fastener torque relative to break away torque. You have to be very careful that you don't strip threads as the involute of the thread is more loaded in other words relative to seating force. General rule when applying anti-seize paste is to reduce application torque by about 10% or so for the same relative seating force without. Less critical with Titanium because it has such a high yield strength.
HTH,
George

biker7 said:
Agree with artmichalek...more generically available anti-seize...technically paste not grease available at an autoparts store is the same stuff and cheaper. The thing to keep in mind when using anti-seize paste is the intrinsic lubricity will give you a false tell on not only fastener torque but fastener torque relative to break away torque. You have to be very careful that you don't strip threads as the involute of the thread is more loaded in other words relative to seating force. General rule when applying anti-seize paste is to reduce application torque by about 10% or so for the same relative seating force without. Less critical with Titanium because it has such a high yield strength.
HTH,
George
One really gets a warm fuzzie knowing the rocket scientist never sleep. A good read is the park tool threaded fastener concepts.

not sure about never sleeps but probably sleep less than average ;) A whole lot of science involved in bicycle design as you know and the tools needed to work on one. Part of the fascination if you are a gear head. To me bikes are art and form follows function.
George