Titanium or carbon

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?

    Yes.

    Seriously, that's an impossible question to answer. Best at what?? I'd personally never buy a carbon
    frame, but I have ridden a bunch and they are nice bikes. Ti is great too. But they're both
    expensive. For me, I'd rather ride a $99 alu frame from Nashbar. It offers the best all-around
    compromise for me. You'll have to decide what qualities you like about your frame choices and pick
    accordingly.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

    >Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?

    Material is not that important. How it is use is more important.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  4. F. Golightly

    F. Golightly Guest

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  6. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    bob wrote:

    > Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?

    Do you crash alot?

  7. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:29:48 -0400, "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> from Bell
    Sympatico wrote:

    >"bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?
    >>

    >Yes.
    >
    >Seriously, that's an impossible question to answer.

    So get both!

    http://www.merlinbike.com/english/bikes/cielo.html

    HUBBA HUBBA!

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace We are now enjoying total mutual interaction
    in an imaginary hot tub ...

  8. Cori

    Cori Guest

  9. "bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?

    Personally I think that Ti is a better value for the money. Ti has a longer life and can take
    crashes better. Carbon is a little lighter, but I have not compared some of the newer Litespeeds.

  10. > Personally I think that Ti is a better value for the money. Ti has a longer life and can take
    > crashes better.

    The real world is littered with many titanium bikes that have failed, typically at or near a weld
    (often on the downtube near the shifter bosses). Just as there are failed carbon, steel & aluminum
    frames. There is nothing so special about titanium that makes it more immune to failure; indeed, as
    frame builders are tempted to try and compete with the weight of a carbon frame, they have
    engineered titanium bikes of limited lifespan & durability.

    It's not the material, it's how it's used.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com .

  11. > Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?

    if you're fat, Carbon.

  12. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    ."bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?

    Your question hit home with me as I am in same dilemma. I wanted a Ti for its durability and was
    looking at a very pricey custom (>$6000 complete), until a friend with one had to send his back to
    factory due a weld failure. Now I'm looking at a non custom Trek carbon at 1/2 the price. I crash
    about twice a year and my rugged R1000 Cannondale has the scuffs and gouges to prove it, so I'm a
    little concerned about how a carbon could handle it (my ribs and road rash heal themselves, so far).
    I'll probably end up carbon cause I can buy two Treks for what the custom Seven would cost. Don't
    say go steel or stick with Al. I've got both, like both, but just want a change

  13. Len

    Len Guest

  14. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?

    Since both of those frame materials are offered because they are exotic (and not because of any
    significant superiority compared to quality steel or aluminum), then the better one is the one that
    turns you on more. That's the only noticeable advantage either material possesses over the cheaper
    alternatives anyway.

    Chalo Colina

  15. in article [email protected], David Storm at

    > ."bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?
    >>

    > Your question hit home with me as I am in same dilemma. I wanted a Ti for its durability and was
    > looking at a very pricey custom (>$6000 complete), until a friend with one had to send his back to
    > factory due a weld failure. Now I'm looking at a non custom Trek carbon at 1/2 the price. I crash
    > about twice a year and my rugged R1000 Cannondale has the scuffs and gouges to prove it, so I'm a
    > little concerned about how a carbon could handle it (my ribs and road rash heal themselves, so
    > far). I'll probably end up carbon cause I can buy two Treks for what the custom Seven would cost.
    > Don't say go steel or stick with Al. I've got both, like both, but just want a change

    Try a JADE... www.jadecycles.com. I think you'll find their pricing for Ti road bikes very
    competitive with superior welds. I bought a Jade Solar last year in August and am TOTALLY happy with
    it. I rode a Trek 5200 for over 8 years and prefer the Jade by a long shot. The bikes are fit to
    your body measurements you provide them.

    I think if you're big you'll prefer Ti over carbon since the carbon flexes so much. You won't waste
    so much pedal energy in climbs and sprints. steve

  16. Serge

    Serge Guest

    [email protected] (Chalo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "bob" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Which is the better frame Ti or Carbon?
    >
    > Since both of those frame materials are offered because they are exotic (and not because of any
    > significant superiority compared to quality steel or aluminum), then the better one is the one
    > that turns you on more. That's the only noticeable advantage either material possesses over the
    > cheaper alternatives anyway.
    >
    > Chalo Colina

    Exotic? Only compared to Aluminum. And there are plenty Aluminum that rival Ti and Carbon in price.

    Geometry is the most important. You can find both in the same range, but speaking about Trek and
    LeMond, latter has longer top tube.

    The better cyclist you are the longer top tube you need. Carbon does not fare well in crash. Warrant
    on Ti is generally better and I would prefer lifetime. Plain Ti does not chip or scratch. If you are
    heavier than 150lb Ti might have better ride quality for you. Ti lasts longer. The popularity of
    Trek is mostly due to incredible performance of Lance Armstrong.

    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.pictureframes.com/scripts/WebObjects/PictureFrames.woa/wa/CustomMade

    > Tom you may want to check that URL you gave, it just sent me to some website about pictures.

    Sorry, ignore that last post, it's still early in the morning.