Titanium Race Frames

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Daibhidh, May 3, 2006.

1. Daibhidh

Daibhidh New Member

Hi,
    I was just looking for advice on titanium frames on race bikes. I've heard a lot of good about them on MTB's, but was wondering if there are any disadvantages on racers, as I don't see a lot of them around. I was told that they flex too much. Would i be better off with an aluminium/carbon mix for the price? All help much appreciated, as decision time looms near!!

Seumas

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

There's no way to generalize across the board for a frame material. It's true that some titanium frames (mostly the early ones) flexed too much under some riders. A Ti frame can be designed to be as stiff or as flexible as is appropriate for the particular rider and application. To figure out what's going to be suitable for you, you're going to have to get out and ride some bikes.

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

The only hard data I am aware of that compares frame stiffness for different frames and materials is the Damon Rinard Frame Deflection Test here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/rinard_frametest.html. As you will see when you scan the results (be careful to look at frames of a similar size), there is no universal statement one can make as to the stiffness differences between Ti and CF.

4. Daibhidh

Daibhidh New Member

Hi,

Thanks very much. The frame I'm looking at is a Van Nicolas, and seeing as I can't decide, I'm just going to go for it. Reckon it's a little more individual than a Trek 2000. Thanks for the advice.

5. Hookyrider

Hookyrider New Member

Been riding a Ti hardtail MTB for about 8 years now and I love it. The only issue I have had is the seatstays just wouldn’t allow for any respectable braking once I adopted v-brakes – like cooked pasta. I slapped a Salsa brake booster arch in there and I haven’t looked back. I have upgraded the bike twice now, just keep wearing the bit and pieces out, but the frame still makes me just as happy as the day I bought it and it’s still lighter than all of my friend’s hardtails.

Ultimately you just need to get out and test ride a few bikes – and the one that rides like a dream to you is the right bike.

HR