Titanium re-brushing

littlefeat

Mar 13, 2006
Is it advisable to carry out my own re-brushing and polishing on my Litespeed frame. I want to remove the old decals first but what do I need to do this? Paint stripper? Any help appreciated.

littlefeat said:
Is it advisable to carry out my own re-brushing and polishing on my Litespeed frame. I want to remove the old decals first but what do I need to do this? Paint stripper? Any help appreciated.
The decals you can just scrape off and clean up the adhesive residue with paint thinner, or in many cases window cleaner. As for the finish, do you want to brush or polish?

littlefeat said:
A razorblade can help remove the decals. Do it slowly and carefully without "scraping" the frame creating deep scratches. The best adhesive remover is one of the orange cleaners and a red rag from the local auto supply store.
To "brush" the Ti you can select one of the Scotch Brite pads (white = fine, green = medium and black = rough) to "rub" the frame with to create the finish you want. Lemon Pledge furniture wax will give the sheen to the bike to accent the brushed look.
This is the way I treat my Ti frames. After a hard year I can get the frame to look brand new.
Good luck.